These are the girls that guys are taking out on nice dates, paying for dinner, drinks and whatever else, in hopes of charming her into a relationship, or if he's really naive; sex.

"At first, when Cathy Smith told a guy over dinner that their date was one of 31 she planned to go on that month — yes, that’s literally every single day — he was a little pissed off.

He was the only guy Smith told about her “Operation: No Pay May,” which, after she dated guys every day for weeks, had evolved into a social experiment, and she had been wanting a man’s view on it. “At first he was like, So you’re just using me?” Smith said. “And then it became a competition: He wanted to compare his date to everyone else’s date.”

But if there is anything that Cathy Smith has learned during the course of Operation: No Pay, it’s about how deeply seated gender roles really are, and that in almost every case, they don’t change. Smith decided to take on this relatively crazy life experience after her friends challenged her to download online dating apps and see if 31 dates in 31 days could even be done. Turns out, uh, yeah — quite easily, actually, Smith said.

Here are the rules for No Pay, some of which are simply based on society’s conventional dating rules in general: Smith can’t date anyone she would never normally date just because he asks her out, like a guy with kids or a guy just trying to hit it and quit it, or a short guy. She can’t fill in any nights with a “guy friend” or ex-boyfriend; that would be cheating. She can offer to pay — but if she does, then it can’t count. And last, she originally told herself she can’t tell any of these men that their date is part of “No Pay May,” because let’s be real, what guy is going to understand a) why she’s doing this and b) that she swears she isn’t using them for the free food? (But, well, it is a great bonus, she admits.)

“They either want to casually hook up, or they think you’re already dating — after one date. There’s no middle ground,” Smith said. “There’s no, let’s just go out with this cute girl and see what happens. That’s how a date should be. But they overthink things so much.”

[after one guy expected to split the bill]

“I didn’t like him enough to pursue a second date,” Smith said. “If you’re not willing to be generous enough to spend $10 on me, I don’t know, that was my thing. Maybe that’s wrong, but I have 30 other men who are willing to do that.”

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/operation-no-pay-may-a-houston-woman-attempts-31-dates-in-31-days-8437207