You know you need to lift. You know you need to eat right. You know you need to feel and look better. But, allow me to shed light and a story on a reason to lift that is sometimes over looked in this community.

Background

I have been lifting for almost 11 years, long before TRP, and paying attention to my diet for the last 7. For perspective, I am 6’, 215 lbs at about 14% bf – this varies due to inconsistency. I still believe I could look bigger than I do (and probably will forever), but people compliment my physique often enough for me to know that I am far above average; more importantly, it is a part of my presence.

Body

Last weekend, I went to a reggae festival with my roommate and had a great time. We were about 50 feet from the stage and dead center. Visually, it is a great spot to be, but physically, it is likely people moving forward, back, left, or right will bump you every 5 minutes. Not a big deal, but could become annoying if you fixate on it.

A couple minutes after realizing this pattern, I feel a hand on my back. I slowly turn around and make eye contact with a man trying to get by. He looked nervous and in a weak, crackly, BB tone said, “Excuse me.”

Acknowledging his anxiety, I reply with a smile, “No worries, that’s what happens up here.” To which he smiles and rambles something along the lines of, “Oh thanks. I almost did not ask. I was thinking, ‘this guy is so big. I don’t want to piss him off.’” I brushed off this compliment and told him I respected him asking.

THEN, he stuck out his hand for a fist bump.

Conclusion

Years of lifting and dieting (mixed with posture) creates an aura of respect around you. You carry this aura everywhere you go. This aura is why TRP tells you to lift. This aura commands respect before you open your mouth. This aura establishes your initial presence in a room. This is all because we are always sizing up the people around us – always.