I have seen a few cases of what I call "False Shepherds" when it comes to providing men guidance in how to be a good man. A couple of examples I have seen recently are thegoodmenproject.com and fatherly.com, cites that claim to be there for men but have an not so subtle feminist leaning. They claim that following the principles of feminism is the best way to be a good man. But feminism does not have men's best interests at heart, so taking their advice would only lead you astray from achieving a fully positive experience as a man. It especially fails men in the regards to being attractive to other women. While that should not be a goal solely focused on by men, I would argue that it should not be ignored completely, as there are many men who desire sexual intimacy with women. When it comes to giving men guidance, it is not in any man's interest to follow the lead of one that would lead them to a genetic dead end, which is why find these sources to be false shepherds for men looking for answers in all facets of being a man.

I had the same exact feeling with a new site that was made known to many recently. With the quarantining of a select number of subreddits, you may be aware of the following site:

https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/csmm/index.php

This site in particular was chosen as an example of "positive masculinity" to counter the "negative masculinity" or "toxic masculinity" of the subreddits that are deemed hateful towards women. Yet, one look at the page would not give you the impression that this is supposed to be good and helpful to men who are looking for an example of positive masculinity. Rather, it delivers a warped and narrow view on what they want to define as positive masculinity, where forms of masculinity outside of their limited view is seen as unacceptable forms of masculinity.

For example, here is one of the links currently on the home page:

Guys Who Get It: The Men of the Women’s Movement including Michael Kimmel - one of the Male Champions of Change

So if you are a part of the women's movement, you are one of the men who "get it," since you are on board with feminism. Apparently, that is an example of positive masculinity. Being a feminist. And you will see Michael Kimmel's name pop up many times, as he appears to be this cites champion of their ideas. I would go as far as saying that him individually would be a prime example of a false shepherd.

Another example demonstrates their political leanings, which imply that anything right-leaning is toxic masculinity:

Conservatives find out that women are studying toxic masculinity, meltdowns ensue

The linked article itself seems to think that opposing an idea is what equates to a meltdown. Also, any use of the term "toxic masculinity" should immediately set off warning lights for someone who does not have men's best interests in mind.

I would advise all men to be cautious of these false shepherds, as they are not acting in your best interests. They are acting in the interests of feminists, who do not have men's best interests at heart. They may not outright state to have contempt for masculinity, but they certainly claim that their way is the only proper way to express masculinity in a positive way.

P.S.

Based on one of my earlier comments from a fatherly.com article, I used the term "false shepherd" to describe this source. While I understand a comment in reponse discussing the idea of "controlled opposition" being a proper label, I would have to disagree. When seeing these false shepherds, they do not give off the vibe that they are on my side and going against the opposition, as they are in lock step with the feminists. So while they certainly are controlled by the actual feminist opposition, they do not even claim to have opposition in the first place.