What does it mean to be a good man? Is it having many good qualities that make you well rounded, accomplished, and fully actualized? That is one way to look at it. But it is important to know that being a good man is also about being without specific negative qualities. While having negative qualities as a whole does not mean one is a bad person, they are not what any man should desire to keep. One of which that plagues many a young man is the term known as the oneitis.

I talk specifically about this term since it is a major problem that many men have had, especially in their younger years. I myself was not exempt from this fault, as I had thought that a girl I knew had to be the one for me. It was not a positive thing in my life, and it only made me feel worse the longer I let myself be consumed by it. For many men, a oneitis is a self imposed prison, and it only brings more and more misery the longer you allow your sentence to be carried out.

However it manifests, it is no good for a man to have. He pours his energy into a relationship that is not even there, and it only makes things worse the more he invests in the idea of the woman. He thinks there is an end goal where he will triumph and be ultimately happy. But he fails to realize that his oneitis is holding him back from other things in life. If he did not pour so much thoughts, energy, and time into the one-sided infatuation, what could he have done instead? Not realizing the time spent was simply wasted on what was unrequited, he shows a real lack of respect for himself. For his time, his efforts, and his self worth.

He sees the woman in question as deserving of all the love he can give, but he does not realize that he is spending his energy on an undeserving woman. And when I say "undeserving," I mean that she has not given him the same love in return that he wants to give her. This is regardless of whether or not she is aware of his feelings. Of course, if she is aware but does not have the same feelings, then he is a fool to continue holding onto that goal. And if she is indeed unaware, he should simply confront the fear of rejection and get a yes or no answer from her regarding her interest. Approaching romantic prospects in this way demonstrates far better being a complete, good man. For one, you are not sinking investment into a woman who does not care for you in the same way back. It is the male equivalent of the woman who sleeps with a man very early on in hopes of getting a commitment from him. Both that type of woman and the man who has a oneitis is approaching relationships in highly ineffective manner. The man showing that he is easily willing to commit to a woman who does not return his feelings shows that he takes very little to extract commitment from, just as a woman who sleeps with men on the first date shows that it is very easy for a man to sleep with her.

For women, it is understandable why this type of man would not be desirable. Is his devotion so special if he is so ready to give it without much in return? Just as men want sex from women, women want commitment from men. But they don't want commitment that is so carelessly given. While success in women is not the only goal for men to have, it is important to understand the reasons that the type of man who holds onto the idea of a oneitis fails. Men need to teach other men that it is not good to have a oneitis. Regardless of the end goals of any man, there is no positive outcome to be had with having a oneitis. Young men are those who especially need to learn this, and it is harder for them to have this knowledge as more of them grow up without their fathers in the home.

Not having a oneitis makes practical sense, and is a far more efficient means for young men to go through life. If his aim is to find a long term partner, it is far better to not attach himself to a woman who does not care for him back. Not having a major attachment before there is even a confirmed relationship helps him understand that nothing should simply be expected to happen. It also helps him deal with failure to be straightforward with women about his intentions, rather than keep them secret in hopes that "the perfect time" will come for him to either tell her his feelings or have her realize that she cares the same way for him (the perfect time never happens, and the strategy of having the woman tell you her feelings first is a poor plan). If he focuses so much on the idea of a particular woman being "the one," he loses focus on other areas in his life. He also may be losing out on approaching other women who would be receptive to him. In summation, living life without having a oneitis is one that is more efficient, practical, and happy.

To be a good man, you cannot have a oneitis. This does not mean that you cannot have ever had one before, but you must understand that it is an obstacle to being fulfilled. Hinging your happiness on the idea that a particular woman is your greatest goal causes you to lose sight of everything else in life. So therefore, it is best for men to abandon the idea of holding onto hope for the oneitis or to never even have a oneitis in the first place.