This is a topic that comes up from time to time so I want to put together my thoughts on "choice" when it comes to SRUGMs. Firstly, we will define "SRUGMs" in terms of what they are not and that is involuntary celibates - "incels"

https://imgur.com/Y3pBQcM

​

Or "Nice Guys^(TM)"

https://imgur.com/2dNbJI8

​

What we do know is that SRUGMs are Sexually / Romantically Unsuccessful or "SRU" and this is defined here:

https://imgur.com/FyW7sq9

​

What we also know is that they are Good Men or "GMs" as defined here:

https://imgur.com/73neYd2

​

And with these two concepts combined we have a "SRUGM"

https://imgur.com/rzskesk

​

So as with the SRU section (the most important part), we can see that the element of "choice" a sexually / romantically unsuccessful person is much wider than what a self-identified "incel" or "Nice Guy" would consider themselves. However the element of "choice" is still restricted compared to what we see with a sexually / romantically successful person, or a voluntary celibate ("volcel") who is content with their situation (perhaps they are chaste / religious or perhaps they just think sex is overrated anyway).

​

But you are still making choices!

​

I have come across this argument before and in a very technical sense yes we are making "choices" even identifying as SRU. This brings me to the reason why I make this thread though and that is that it is kind of marginalising to our situation to consider that we have "choices" as SRUGMs and I have written about this because it is important for our community to be able to tackle this semi-criticism, semi-token of advice giving perspective. I want to look at a scenario where our SRUGM goes to a restaurant and orders the steak which he says he would like to have it medium cooked.

I would like to mention beforehand that in this scenario, I am not referring to the Chef (women) offering "meat" as providing some kind of sexual service. Really I am talking about time, investment and a level of intimacy that men (the clients) and women (the chef) both offer to be successful in dating (wherein sex or romance could be possible outcomes from this). Realistically, my point is that men and women both have to offer some kind of energy to be successful in dating and get what they want. Well in this scenario our SRUGM already has the assets (money) required for him to purchase the steak (which in dating terms can be understood as "sexual / relationship market value" - S/RMV).

However, it takes a long time for the steak to come (but other customers - the SRUGM's competition - who arrived later and ordered the same dish have already been served) and so the SRUGM takes initiative - he approaches the chef in a non-invasive manner and politely asks how long it will take. At this point however the chef does not act in a reasonable fashion but he throws his hat down on the floor and exclaims that the SRUGM is acting in a way that could be considered entitled. At this point the SRUGM feels very frustrated (disillusioned) and considers leaving the restaurant anyway - all of the other restaurants in the area will be closed but perhaps it is better for the SRUGM to go home anyway even if he feels hungry and miserable and won't eat that night because he does not have anything in his fridge and all the supermarkets / take away outlets are closed in his neighbourhood.

However as he informs the chef that he is about to leave, the chef jumps up and down and exclaims that the steak is nearly finished. The SRUGM feels like his appetite has been spoiled but he decides that ok, he can wait five minutes now for the steak since he has waited this long already. However at this point when the steak arrives it is not medium cooked like he asked for but hard and chewy. When he complains to the chef and asks for his food to be reserved, the waiter exclaims that he has made several choices throughout the course of the evening - to order the steak, to wait for the steak and to begin eating the steak. The SRUGM does not have the right to complain, in fact this is just the SRUGM engaging in non-constructive whiny behaviour. Furthermore, since the SRUGM has already begun to eat the steak he should pay for it (in dating terms, we can understand this as alimony).

The SRUGM is furious. He decides he would prefer not to even bother with the steak and he would just go hungry at this point. He goes home and complains on a rating website about his difficulties that he has experienced with the restaurant service: the way he was treated that night by the chef and the fact no other restaurants in the area had been open. However, to his surprise an angry group of ideologists who call themselves "restaurantists" immediately begin to attack him with venomous vitriol: they exclaim that he should understand that "not all restaurants are like that" and that his attitudes and criticisms of the restaurant service in his area is a type of prejudice called "foodism". Also, the reasons why the SRUGM had difficulties in that restaurant was probably to do with some personal flaw that he has: maybe he was impolite, maybe he didn't dress well enough that evening, maybe he didn't bring enough money along with him, etc., etc. These restaurantists then start a subreddit called r/niceclients:

For all the self proclaimed "nice clients" who are actually manchildren or douches, or mistake their hilarious spinelessness for niceness This is primarily a subreddit for images of these "nice clients" demonstrating their unique charm.

​

If the SRUGM dares to comment or post about what is wrong with this type of mentality, he will be swiftly informed that the subreddit is not dedicated to guys like him specifically, they are just trying to make the "other" guys look bad. The SRUGM sighs in disbelief but he cannot verbally explain what is wrong with these sentiments because every time he tries to it is like words in his mouth are being deliberately twisted against him in a malicious fashion. For this reason the SRUGM decides that while the problem may not be with restaurants in general, there has been a problem with most of the restaurant services he has encountered so far including but not limited to his own area. And because of this he feels jaded, cynical about his experiences and decides he would prefer to just abstain from the business of eating out for a while. He does not bother to share his experiences with anyone because he knows they will just tell him that he chose to feel jaded / cynical about his experiences and that these were emotions which he could have simply overcome. It is his own fault if he cannot enjoy the luxury of eating at places which offer a decent quality of food anymore because of his attitude. (He has also been informed that eating steak is "not that big a deal" and he could just eat bread and water if he wants to survive - again if he doesn't do that it's because of a choice).

Once in a while, the SRUGM goes on twitter, facebook and other kinds of social media and to his amusement, he finds posts and comments by angry chefs exclaiming and asking the question, "where are all the nice clients?".