I hear a lot about how Baby Boomers sold out, or how lazy and apathetic millennials are. Both have some basis in truth, but both are simplistic. I could say a bit about Gen X and how significant they are in the mix, or my predictions for Gen Z (the zoomers), but for now I want to provide some context on Boomers.

With that in mind, here is a story:

I was speaking to a good friend from Peru a few years ago. He is about 10 years older than me, but we had a great friendship. He was a successful, wealthy, charming, handsome man with a successful marriage and family (at that time). We got on the topic of children. He had moved here from Peru a few years earlier, and he was worried that the wealth and privilege they were used to over there would not translate. And he was right.

He had raised them to value education, self-sufficiency, and family. His wife was a warm and friendly woman - but she was overly protective and nurturing. Add to this a lot of money and this mix led to his three children being lazy and aimless in life. They all have jobs now, but they are struggling and will never be nearly as successful as he is.

This story has been told many times by immigrants who came here, only to see their children inherit rights, privileges, and prosperity without any sense of where it came from. This is problem is often referred to as the Three Generation Rule

Similarly, Baby Boomers were born into a world that was immensely prosperous. The often maligned 1950's was their childhood (for most, but obviously not all - but don't let anyone tel you that there were no powerful women or prosperous black families. That is a lie). They came of age in the 1960's - sex, drugs, and rock and roll. What a hell of a time to grow up! The most privileged of them never went to Vietnam, and those who did came back jaded and broken. But they all knew the good and bad of what was possible.

All of their idealism turned to corruption, avarice, and greed. Not just that, but it was self-righteous insufferable unearned arrogance on top of it. They were handed a beautiful world full of hope and possibility. That world was built on traditions, habits or mind, and values that were tried and tested over eons. Somehow this wisdom was framed as "outdated", politically conservative, or worse - oppressive. They took the bait and started making "changes" Look up who voted for the war in Iraq in response to 911. Go ahead. That is the Baby Boomer legacy.

A quote about the tree of liberty being refreshed comes to mind. The other saying about strong men creating good times.... also comes to mind. Another quote about those who fail to learn the lessons of history is yet another.

Boomers sold out in ways that give privilege and honor to their own ideological heroes. At the same time they have permanently screwed future generations into a dystopia that they would not wish on themselves.

The bottom line is this - The Boomers can only be held partially responsible for this. They are experiencing the Third Generation Rule, but only one generation removed. It is a virtually unavoidable phenomenon without very strong family (generational) leadership and powerful structures and incentives to maintain the best of their systems.

The boomers have no such leaders. They had nothing but charismatic ideologues, preachers, and SJW advocates of all flavors. That is how they see the world and there is no changing it at this point. They control everything at this point, so there is not much hope for change. Look at every mainstreaam and social media platform and tell me how much diversity of opinion you find. Their masters will not give up their power willingly. Would you?

All we can do is to embrace this ugly reality and tap the rudder a bit. If enough of us can tap in the same direction, the children of the zoomers (what the hell will they call that generation) may be able to do a bit better.