A few years ago, I remember the mass hysteria caused by a People v Turner. It was the case whereby "Emily Doe" claimed Brock Turner, a white student athlete from Stanford University, raped her. He was caught when two other students saw him on top of her, at a dumpster (no joke). He ran, got caught, then the trial. He was indicted for 2 counts of rape, 2 counts of sexual assault, and 1 count of attempt to rape. He was found guilty for 2 counts of sexual assault, and 1 count of attempted rape. Sentenced to 6 months in county jail, 3 years probation, lifelong registration as a sex offender. Lost his eligibility on 2016 Olympic swim team, lifelong-ban from Stanford. This week, "Emily Doe" comes forward as Chanel Miller, giving national interviews and publicizing her new book. I feel that there are a lot of gems in this case (apart from his stupidity) that we can apply to our own lives, on a smaller scale.

​

First, NEVER be put in a "he says, she says" situation, even when the person you are arguing with can't even remember what happened. She claimed her last memory was around 12AM, with the dumpster "event" happening at 1AM, and regaining consciousness at 4:15AM. Turner claims to remember everything. So we have 4 hours where nobody knows what really happened, a literal "she said, me said" scenario. Yet, everyone believes the women WITHOUT A MEMORY who cried "rape, trauma, isolation, being silenced", etc. Rape kit comes out, no DNA in her vagina, no DNA on his cock, 0 evidence of sex, rape charges were dropped. Turns out his story of fingering and dry-humping her was all that happened. Somehow, this became "he dragged me through hell, and took away my voice". Personally I've seen a lot of dry humping, and fingering in back alleys - I never would have guessed that if a women wanted to, she could fuck a guy over to this extent.

​

What about this lady? Turns out she is not even from Stanford, studies in UCSB (a less prestigious university), has a boyfriend, and went to Stanford JUST TO PARTY. CC, AWALT anyone? She came to party at the Kappa Alpha fraternity. To those outside the US, fraternity means "brotherhood", a society just for males. So, she literally came to a party hosted by a group of dudes. Her boyfriend also bombarded her phone all through the night, which she did not reply as it was on silent. Afterwards he came out and said he was "proud of her" and that she has a "ton of strength". No wonder she went to party with athletes, given beta bux was at home. Part of me wonders if Chanel Miller went through all of this to prove she is not a cheat, to keep her image and relationship clean. How many of you have ever seen an out-of-town girl, at a party? I'm guessing everyone here. Now how many of you realize that she can have THIS much power?

​

Turner says he drank with her at the party, danced and kissed her AT the party, walked with her OUT of the party, escalated by touching her, asked to finger her, then got caught at a dumpster. Aside from being a dumbass who thinks with his penis near a dumpster, without realizing it is a bad look, the rest of the story should sound...quite relate-able? Meeting a girl, having drinks, kissing, escalating, is what everyone has done. Today, she can just simply say "I have no memory" to screw you over, even if you have evidence. AWALT - if she can do this to him, someone can do this to you. Even though Turner's EX-GIRLFRIEND came out to defend his character, nobody cared as it didn't fit the rapist agenda.

​

I wonder what she wore, how much she drank, whether she WANTED to get drunk, who she came with, why she was alone, whether she wanted to be alone, why her phone was on silent when she had a BF waiting, etc. Evidence obtained by the defendants shows that she called herself a "party animal". Seems like a CC rider. She sees herself as a "lighthouse" for young women. These are all qualities I see in women EVERYWHERE, to think that any one of them could have the same power Chanel Miller has is baffling. More will do the same. Men have to be cautious now more than ever, especially as news become more sensationalized, and the court of public opinion (strangers who don't know you, or care about evidence) can affect your livelihood, job, family, and friends. People who sided with Chanel Miller even got promotions - there is tremendous benefits to siding with the victim, expect no sympathy.

​

TL:DR - The trend is for MORE women to come out and bring sexual assault to the forefront. Men will continue to be told to "take responsibility" for drunken, horny women. Words like "you should have known better" will be said. Be smart and screen appropriately.

​

Edit 1: I feel it is necessary to clarify her state of consciousness. As a preface, she was 22, he was 19. I see a lot of comments focused solely on this fact, perhaps because the phrase "what are you doing, she's unconscious" was used in one of her lawyer's opening statements. She says she is unconscious, Turner says she was not, that she gave consent for sexual activity (note: sex did not occur, but he says consent was given). He says, she says situation.

​

Factually, she had given phone calls to her sister who also attended the same party (interestingly she ALSO said Brock Turner made a move on her), and to her sister's friend, after 12AM. 12AM is the time where she says she became "unconscious". She denies remembering the calls. Paramedics gave her a score of 11/15 on the Glasgow Coma Scale. 15 means full responses in the person's eyes, vocal cords, and motor skills. For example: cussing at a person, he opens his eyes, replies "what the fuck", and flips the bird. 0 means no sounds, no movement, no eye movement. A score of 11 is, to be clear, far from unconsciousness. It's certainly a grey area whether she is truly SO intoxicated she cannot give consent (despite scoring so well on the tests), or that she was a tired, sleepy drunk. Furthermore, Peter Jonsson, the person who tackled Turner admitted in CROSS EXAMINATION that he did NOT tell the police officer she was unconscious. This line was mis-representedly quoted as said by the righteous men on the night, when in reality it was really added on after. There appears to be NOBODY who can prove whether she was conscious, or unconscious, besides Chanel Miller herself and Brock Turner.

​

Every situation is different, and whether or not she is objectively unconscious is irrelevant in the eyes of public opinion. The fact that the rape charges were dropped, and the light sentencing should give indication whether or not things were as bad as they presented. My point, and the nugget we can apply to our own lives, is to NEVER be in a "he says, she says" situation. You WILL lose.