So, last week I went with my wife to a parent/teacher conference with my 1st grade son's teacher. Let's call him Guy+. The teacher talked about how Guy is so nice all the time and so good to all the kids, but only part of the class likes him. There's another boy, let's call him Dude+. The teacher said Dude has an older brother who's exceptionally mean to him. Dude comes to class and usually is as sweet as can be, but on days Dude's brother has been bad to him, Dude is in such a bad mood that he says and does terrible things to his classmates. Every kid loves Dude. It drives the teacher and my wife crazy because they think Guy is more deserving. I'm instantly reminded of my history of being nice to all beta times and my current efforts to kill my inner beta.

Later that day, I told my wife "We need to make sure Guy learns that he doesn't have to be nice to everyone, in fact it's important he learns to not be nice to kids who are mean to him." She initially resisted, but I continued to relate to her the story I think I read in either No More Mr Nice Guy or Married Life Sex Primer or both on an experiment of giving a lever to rats in a cage. Lever does nothing, they learn to ignore it, lever gives food every time, they pull it when hungry, lever gives food some of the time, the rats furiously pull it all day long to ensure they have enough food since they know they can't trust it. The kids are triggered by Dude's unreliable niceness to try harder to get Nice Dude instead of Mean Dude, not knowing that Dude's behavior has nothing to do with their behaviors. Guy is Nice Guy all the time, so the kids don't value his niceness. It's freely given to all, so has no value. Where I read the rat lever story, it was explaining the plight of the nice guy, exactly the previous 5 years or so of my marriage until I started deep diving into red pill knowledge, he's nice and sometimes gets sex, but erroneously believes he got sex because of being nice, so when the sex is unreliable, he turns up the niceness.

+names changed to protect the innocent.

TL/DR son in first grade, already showing signs of inheriting my natural Nice Guy state. Want to teach him not to be nice to the undeserving.