Been talking to a lot of guys lately that have had experiences relevant to the lesson of this fable, and I myself have also fallen into this pitfall as well. Relevant fable, not just for game and women, but for toxic people (male or female) in your life.

A scorpion wants to cross a river but cannot swim, so it asks a frog to carry it across. The frog hesitates, afraid that the scorpion might sting it, but the scorpion promises not to, pointing out that it would drown if it killed the frog in the middle of the river. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion. Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I am sorry, but I couldn't resist the urge. It's in my nature

Interpretation: when you understand someone's nature (be it women or the way people conduct themselves), it is counterintuitive, if not detrimental, to rationalize or convince yourself that they will ultimately behave in any way besides their nature.

It does not matter what circumstancial or contextual motivations are present, people will act their nature even when it is against the interests of all parties involved, themselves included. Operate within the scope of people's nature, not how they ought to behave under given circumstances.

Ever have something to perfectly well between you and a woman only to have her leave, cheat etc? Look back in hindsight and realize you were too soft, too invested etc. This is why.

Always operate in the scope of people's nature. Words, promises, and token gestures to the contrary of their nature will always succumb to the eventual gravity of their nature