Alright, hi all, I need some advice & mental reinforcement.

So, LTR of mine (4 years) recently brought up a topic of our common future when it comes to finances. And she made it clear that for her the only obvious and natural perspective is having a one, common bank account, ofc not yet, but when we are able to establish a household. Having a common bank account is pretty common here in Poland. Even culturally default, i'd say.

My answer was a clear NOPE at first, and then I made a little step back, saying that ok, we can have a common bank account, but aside from that, we keep our independent accounts. And that we would assign a percentage of our incomes to go to the common account. I genuinely think it's the perfect, most logical solution.

The girl is still unhappy about this perspective.

To put some context:

• me - 29, an engineer, decent income, definitely not rich, but I can afford renting a tiny flat, having a car, 2 motorcycles, a trip once in a while and I still save around 20% of my income;
  • her - 25, a university student (last year), still living with her parents, had some side jobs in her past and made some savings, which are still growing, not shrinking;
  • we see each other mostly on weekends, usually in my flat. Sex and fun all the time.

She's careful with her expenses, this I can vouch for, and she's actually hardworking and idealistic (clear employment perspectives in her field of social work administration). I don't think she would be taking advantage of my resources, but damn, i'd just feel uncomfortable buying some expensive motorcycle parts with money coming from a shared account. Or buying her a gift with the same money. Or seeing in the account history how much did her gift for me cost. Just, weird. And I like my independence. I reeeally like it, the fact that I can just do with my money what I like, and I don't see why I should be giving up on that.

To her, me insisting on having 2+1 accounts instead of one common is a sign of:

• being immature (coming from a person still living with her parents, lol),
  • not trusting her,
  • my inability to think about a common future, only about mine,
  • my inability to make any consessions while she gives me so much freedom and while I risk nothing and she risks all,
  • her having to bear consequences of what my ex girlfriend did (my previus LTR managed to convince me to pay all our bills when we lived together, i was so plugged in back then. I've never told that to my current LTR, but I'm not making the same mistake again).

So, I thought "check!" and I proposed to create a common bank account right away, and start putting there some spare change together - as a symbol of mutual trust and working towards a common goal, but apparently that's not addressing her concerns.

To be honest, I AM very individualistic, and I may have some scars and issues with trust, coming from my bad experiences with my previous LTR. And i probably AM oversensitive when it comes to my independence. And I've been avoiding the topic of having kids at all, while she clearly wants to have them. And I'm kinda keeping her hanging on this topic, because I still don't know if I want to start a family, while her most fertile and healthy for pregnancy years are right now passing by. So it's not like she's completely nuts and out of arguments when it comes to trust and concessions and so on. For the last months the idea of starting a family in let's say 3 years has been growing on me, but now, this situation has freaked me out. Red lights flashing in my brain.

I just need some commentary, perspective from people with cool heads. Gotta put things in order in my self-critical head before I make any big decisions. Why the hell would the idea of us having some independent finances be so bothersome to her? How do I handle this so that I don't compromise my frame and my core value (independence), while being fair to her, a human being I have basic respect for?

Edit: Maybe this should go to /Ask TRP instead of /LTR...