Edit: Holy fuck some of you dumbfucks keep commenting about "sooo manipulating ugghhh". Shut the fuck up this is not manipulation. If something serious happens you obviously will support your woman, I can't believe some of you are so fucking dense. If she's upset over a tv show you don't bother her because nothing good will come from trying to solve it. Obviously you can fucking talk to her about it listen to her problems. Fuck I didn't think some people here read for face value instead of thinking it through with your own thoughts and experiences. Fuck some of you need to sort yourselves out instead of projecting your shitty lives through reddit comments. Get that weak shit outta here, you're either trying to be a good man or you're a child.

TL;DR: If you catch yourself doing something to cheer her up when she's obviously unhappy with something you can't change, don't even try. Nothing good will come from it.

"But I care about her and if she's unhappy it drags the relationship down!" is what I justified to myself when making cute post it notes, surprise dates, etc. You end up hoping for the same in return (you're human and bp) because you've put so much effort into trying to make her happy, surely she sees that! Right? Hell naw man. Once you realize they think alongside a child's mind, then you can realize she won't do shit in return because you did something for her. You may not feel this way, but I figured I'll add it in the post.

However, the main reason why you shouldn't worry about her happiness is because she's not even looking for a solution! She's just unhappy and wants to stay in it, but she'll obviously say otherwise. Actions speak louder than words. For example, if she's unhappy with how she looks, she probably won't work out, but tell you all about how she's self conscious about herself and that she doesn't think she's pretty. #Shittest

As a man you see a problem in your life and you figure out how to best deal with it. The majority of effort you'll put in to "cheer her up" is for nothing. If a kid is unhappy, you'd tell them everything is okay. You don't shower them with affection, you let them know, that you're there for them.

Be worried about your happiness because ultimately, that's what matters. A calm frame will provide her with what she needs, so focus on yourself. By pushing yourself onto her by trying to help her you will come off as needy and overbearing. I think it shows that your frame is weak af if it's buckling when she's unhappy. Don't give a fuck man, it's your life. If it doesn't work out with her there's always another girl.

I'm not saying to never get her flowers or shit like that but reciprocate what she's done for you. If a girl cares about you and is into you that won't be a problem.

Check out /u/rooster-one4 comment; great analogy.