So I've been on TRP for a while, and even tried posting some bull shit that I didn't have that much knowledge in before. Well now I'd like to post something I do know. On TRP it's very common advice for guys to saw "lifting like their lives depend on it." I remember once there was a post here about an Alpha who was in MMA, his wife cheated on him, the dude beat the crap outta 3-4 guys, and then divorced the wife. In the notes and comments everybody kept talking about lifting and that it could save your life. What I don't understand is why TRP never mentions anything about training all that muscle that your guys are gaining from the gym. The guy was apparently a prominent jiu jitsu/kickboxer, and the guys he beat up were a bunch of meatheads as far as the story/post would lead you to believe.

Nobody ever talks about getting a discipline or actually learning how to fight. For that matter I've rarely seen any other form of physical training other than lifting. In a fight, strength is important yes, but do you have any idea how fast someone would get gassed if they don't have enough cardio in their life? I've been in boxing for most of my life. And during most of that time, I was a tall lanky toothpick. I didn't start seriously lifting until I was 18. I'm 27 now and barely breaking the 305 bench thresh hold. But because I've been in boxing since I was 8 (admittedly off and on) chances are I could hold my own against someone who is two or three times stronger than me.

Why you should consider taking up a discipline

Yes lifting is important, but you can't just lift weights and think your body is going to be ready for anything. It doesn't matter how strong you are, there are places on your body, that if you're hit, no amount of muscle will be able to protect you. With proper training you could learn not only how to defend yourself, but you will also learn how to better yourself. Proper training will teach you respect, humility (not that common now at days sadly), how to push yourself, and so much more. Let’s not mention what constant training would do to your body aesthetically. A combination of lifting and training in a fighting style will make you look different from all the other guys around you who are just lifting. I realize I might be biased but I'm just wondering why we never talk about this here on TRP.

Beware of the Bull shit facilities

I can't just stand on a soap box and say that all disciplines are created equal. And all places that you can train at are going to yield positive results. Just like anything else in life, you have to find what fighting style fits you. What's even harder than that is finding a place that actually knows what their talking about. Not all trainers are the same, and not every person who can fight, can teach others how to do the same. I've had my fair share of piece of shit trainers who just want to pimp you out to fights so they can get money while you get your ass handed to you. Do research into the different schools around you. See if they've produced MULTIPLE fighters. Most places will get lucky with one or two people who stand out, or might have made a name for themselves, and then they live off that reputation just to get idiots to give them money so they have punching bags for their star athletes.

In conclusion

You can lift to your hearts content. In there will never be a good reason not to lift. Ever. Do it. But don't get the idea that just because you are ripped, you can hand everybody their ass on a silver platter. Strength is not the single determining factor in a fight. If you just want to look good and intimidate most people then ignore this post. You don't need it. But if you are really looking to better yourself as a person, look into picking up a discipline