EDIT: Thanks, everybody, for the great advice, tough love and shared experiences. I'm already feeling a lot better knowing I didn't just get hit by a drive-by -- I only got what I deserved by acting like that. Looks like I've got some reading to do and a gym to hit.

--

SUMMARY: Newly divorced beta who's always thought TRP was mindgame advice for guys who just want sex gets into his first new relationship in a decade and learns the hard way how right TRP is

THE STORY:

Just got divorced out of a loveless marriage where we'd been sleeping in separate rooms the last few years. Got myself a sweet bachelor pad a few blocks from work, bought some nice clothes.

While I was busy moving and finding a new place, a miracle dropped in my lap: A cute girl ten years younger than me, who loved my work (I'm a writer), started fangirling up to me. Well, after years of drought, I responded to the attention like a guy coming in out of the desert to a glass of water.

We started hanging out every day. I tried to impress her with my status and bank, taking her out to really nice restaurants, booking her massages at my gym. She was living with a boyfriend, but gave me the impression they were on the outs and that they were mostly together for the rent. Lots of touching from her, long looks, frank talk about sex, bashful looks when I complimented her, talk of sleepovers and the future.

I'm sure you can see where this is going...

After many dates, I'm still getting hugs and pecks on the cheek. I confront her about it and get emasculated that I'm being "crazy" for wanting to move "too fast". Suddenly I'm a creep for treating her like a whore. So we keep "dating", presumably at a slower pace -- but STILL I'm getting the heavy flirting, all the green light signals, all the touching, the looks, the innuendo-filled talks -- and STILL I'm going to bed with blue balls every night.

I've just gotten a divorce from a marriage that hadn't been going well, so I'm desperate for intimacy. And I'm living alone for the first time in a decade, so I'm desperate for companionship. This girl was gift-wrapped on a platter for me -- it's almost like the relationship came with the apartment. No online dating sites, no awkward blind dates. I assumed I'd hit the lottery, basically getting to transition to a new exciting relationship from an old, busted one -- and not only that, upgrading to a pretty 26-year-old who's head over heels with me. It's absolutely perfect.

So why am I starting to feel like a sucker?

I confront her about it. Now I'm getting "Let's just be friends but, down the road, who knows? I AM attracted to you. But let's just be friends." I start getting talks about how she's attracted to ALL her friends, and a lot of other dippy BS you'd expect from someone in their 20s.

Eventually I figure out what anybody reading this figured out back in paragraph one: The boyfriend isn't a living arrangement of convenience. He's of course her ACTUAL boyfriend. And she's of course a little bored/frustrated with their relationship and loving all the attention from this new guy. But she's not going to risk or sacrifice ANYTHING on her end. The plan is to keep me safely orbiting in the friend zone, lavishing her with money and attention, constantly dangling the "maybe tomorrow" carrot in front of me, knowing that I'll be there to break out of the plastic at any hypothetical future date she feels like.

I told her I couldn't see her anymore, at least until I got over her. And I'm crushed, let me tell you. Not because I thought she was "the one", but because: 1) she was exactly what my poor battered ego needed right now, and 2) one week into my new terrifying life alone, this is the worst time to get an emotional kick in the nuts this fast.

But the absolute worst is the knowledge that I absolutely got played. It'd be one thing if it was a case of unrequited love, where I was pursuing her based on no signals at all and ignoring her requests to just be friends. But she was actively working -- HARD -- to make me fall for her. It's infuriating and emasculating.

LESSONS LEARNED

• TRP isn't just for dudes looking for a one-night stand. It's for men looking for relationships too.

• Women can flirt with you and still not be interested in a relationship. This boggled my innocent mind.