[TL;DR:] If in an LTR, make sure to evaluate your situation every few days or weeks. Try to see if you are falling too deep into emotional realm, where rational thought takes the second place. Ask yourself - if we broke up today, will I be ok? If you think that you could not live without her, leave her.

[Body]

Some time ago, I was having a drink with an old friend of mine, and discussion turned to women. I won't bore you with the minutiae, but I formulated a phrase that stuck with both of us over the years:

If a moment comes when you believe that you cannot live without her anymore, you have to walk away, without hesitation.

Since then, we've both been through ups and downs, but lately we have both entered LTR's. I've been in mine for around two years now.

I follow trust-but-verify principle, I ask her questions I know answers to, just to see if she will tell the truth (especially when it is uncomfortable for her), and overall I try to maintain a tight ship. She stayed with me during some rough times, she still pays for half of the stuff, cooks me breakfast, lunch and dinner anytime I stay at her place (and then, cooks at my place as well), she cleans my place, she adores me and has refused sex maybe three times over last two years. And heck, seeing her face light up when she sees me makes me feel happy.

On a random day, when lying in bed, she tells me:

"Anistrophic, you know, you are probably the best thing that happened to me in my life."

"Yeah, I get that a lot"

She tries to put an indignant expression, but quickly giggles.

"No, seriously! My goal - well, one of my goals - is to make it that you couldn't live without me!"

"That's not going to happen."

"I know, but I think that's one of the things I like about you. And I love being good to you!" Smooch!

"Could I leaver her now?" I ask myself in my mind. "Yes."

And on and on, she gushes:

"Oh, Anistrophic, I love you so much! You make me feel amaaazing! I want to spend the rest of my life with you and only you!"

"...right now."

"What?"

"When you say you love me, I have to add "right now" to the end of your sentence for it to be really true."

She pauses for a second - I can see her mind whirring at the thought - and giggles.

"I think you're right, but I really feel that I want that. I don't know how to say it to you, but you are my lover and boyfriend and I will never leave you! I want you forever!"

And I look into her wide open eyes, her happy face following every movement of my face, and smile.

"I love you too."

She nuzzles close to me, and I feel happy.

"When I leave for work tomorrow morning, could I just never call her again?

"Yes".

But this is not a strong answer anymore. It's an automatic answer, and digging deeper, I feel a twinge of doubt. "Well, why leave her, I mean, she tells me all the truth, she didn't give me a change to doubt her in past two years, and she's great! Come on!"

I spend the next week away from her. Don't call her, don't text her, don't pick up her calls. Concentrate on work, spend time with my friends, hit up other girls.

During the time, I remember that she has cheated on two of her previous LTR's when they were away. I know that those guys fell hard for her, and the one she cheated on with me told her he couldn't live without her. I know that she would do the same to me if I cracked, sooner or later. I know her N-number, and it's higher than I am comfortable. I know that I most likely will not marry her because of that. I know that she is not a unicorn, she's just another girl that I could find anywhere else.

I realize that I am still just waiting for her to fuck up so that I could leave her. A part of me wants her to fuck up.

"Could I live happily without her?"

I know the answer.

"Yes."

When she sees me next time, she doesn't complain about my absence too much. That night, she puts extra effort in bed.

And when I wake up in the morning, with her cuddled up on my chest - it is somewhat hard to admit it to myself - but yeah, I love her.

Right now.

[The Lesson]

If some of you decide to enter LTR - understand that it can be very rewarding, but it is easy to fall under the spell of a girl. And once she has broken you - she will move on. A lot was written here, on rationalmale and chateauheartiste how one needs to be the rock, what to do and what not to.

Sometimes, the girl plays such a good game, that loosing seems enjoyable. It is, nevertheless, a loss. Never forget that, and never let your emotions take over.

Once you think that you cannot live without the girl - and she smells it - it means you have already broken up, just at a later time. There is no point in staying anymore - simply leave, right then. Save yourself some time.

So, when you are in an LTR's, ask yourself : "Could I just leave her right now, and be OK?"