This is a true story about a gentle, funny man who I know personally, and not some third-party sob story I heard or read about. None of the facts are exaggerated for effect. We’ll call him Ray. Ray is 10 years past retirement age (in a public job with an unusually generous pension package). He has elected to instead work all these extra years so that his family can live more comfortably. He is an adaptable fella at his age (and I jest he is better with a smart phone than me). This old man has figured out how to apply a different ring tone for his wife, kids, and boss! Ray has been married for over thirty years and has two children. Both children graduated college with familial support and married. Both couples are homeowners with their spouses. Last month, Ray’s wife told him she wanted a divorce. She had a lawyer before she told him she wanted out. She waited at the bank during his last payday to cash out all funds from their joint checking the moment they were direct deposited, while he was at work. Now, he has no liquid assets whatsoever, as all their accounts were joint. He opened his very first personal checking account in over three decades this month. With tears in his eyes, he told me, “All she might have had to do was wait until September, because that’s how long my dad made it.” Regular church-going people.

There is no cure, sadly. Today I was thinking of that story and of my own. I thought to myself:

What have I really lost by losing all faith that someone would love me unconditionally until my end? Since it was a confidence trick from the start, I’ve lost nothing but gained my freedom. Losing faith is like overcoming a drug addiction. The trick that keeps you a slave is the illusion that there was something to be gained to begin with. That the drug (unconditional love) made you happy. In reality, it only tricked you into being miserable without it.