Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/14fxrhv/follow_up_the_white_girl_index_posted_here_in/

Inspired by u/thisistheperfectname's original post here, I back-tested the "White Girl Index" (also known as $BECKY) with equally weighted stocks going back to 2013. These are public companies with major product lines enjoyed particularly by white girls, who possess disposable income and the ability to set cultural trends.

The index had annualized returns of ~17% over 5 years and ~13% over 10 years, you can see the chart here.

There were 22 stocks in the index, some of them weren't public 10 years ago, so I included them only after they IPO-d. The best and worst performers in terms of 5 year returns are below. I've not included and "new" White Girl Index stocks that went public after the original post in 2018.

Best (annualized 5 year returns)

DECK: +59%

ETSY: +55%

LULU: +42%

AAPL: +40%

LVMUY: +25%

Worst (annualized 5 year returns)

VFC: -18%

UAA: -17%

GOOS: -17%

SNAP: -6%

DIS: -4%

Overall, 16 of the companies had positive returns and 6 had negative returns. What I learnt from the analysis is that there are a bunch of "superstars" within this group, whos returns easily compensate for the laggards.

The full list of companies and calculations can be found here.

EDIT: Since its been 5 years, I guess it's the right time to rebalance, so some suggested adds and removals below.

Remove (these have become less popular)

GOOS

UAA

BBWI (LB)

DECK?

SNAP?

Add (these have become more popular)

SHOP

SPOT

CROX

LLY (Eli Lilly) and NVO (Novo Nordisk)

DASH

PINS

Contenders

ABNB? BKNG?

LYFT / UBER?

FL? Footlocker

PTON?

SFIX?

ELF? Elf beauty

BROS?

CPRI?

SG?

MAT?

TJX? TJ Maxx

OLPX? Olaplex hair care

HESAY Hermes

MTCH Match Group and BMBL Bumble

SPG Simon Property Group

YETI Yeti

RENT Rent the runway

Please comment if there are any others I should add / remove.