A lot of guys that come here are somewhat lost when it comes to taking the first step to improving themselves. It can be daunting when there are so many choices to tackle. I'm going to lay out some of the key areas that I focus on. There are 4 areas of your overall health that equally important. A lack of one will impact the others, but it works the opposite way too, building momentum in one will boost your progress in others, so it doesn't matter which one you start with as long as you start somewhere.

#1 - Physical

Are you always tired/sick/fat, can't make it up the stairs without wheezing? Look ugly? Start working out, get a skincare regiment, get a fresh cut and some new clothes if you have to. Get surgery if you're really deformed. Looking good makes you feel good and statistically gets you paid better. I've learned that there's no such thing as ugly people, only lazy people. There's plenty of rich, depressed, fat fucks and plenty of broke dudes with 6-packs that live their lives to the fullest.

#2 - Mental

This breaks down to emotional and intellectual. Whether you're depressed/angry/apathetic, whatever your hangups are identify them and sort them out. No one wants to be around an anchor dragging them down. Know the guy that everybody wants to be friends with? Odds are he's happy, chill, and full of positive energy. But it's not just about being a happy-go-lucky retard. Read books, develop skills, seek to know and do more today than you did the day before.

#3 - Social

You can be the smartest buffest guy in the room, but it does count for much if you're the only one in the room. We're social animals by nature. Doesn't matter if you hit the bar up with a squad of 20 friends or make small talk with the cashier in the checkout line. Small steps build up to something larger. One of the closest friends I have today was a random dude at the gym I asked for a spot.

#4 - Financial

Your career/savings/investments. If I lost my job next week it wouldn't bother me one bit. Because I know I have the skillset to find another one quickly and even if I don't I've got the savings to weather the storm. Despite what people say, money does buy happiness, it gives you peace of mind. Tires on my car got fucked last month, had a brand new set the next day without having to beg friends/family for a handout. Set some cash aside from your paycheck each month. If you invest $500/mo starting at age 25 [you can retire a millionaire at 60.] (http://www.calculator.net/401k-calculator.html?age=25&income=50000&balance=0&contribution=12&ematch=50&ematchend=4&retirementage=60&lifeexpectancy=85&incomeincrease=2&rate=7&inflation=3&hideirslimit=0&type=1&x=52&y=22#top) As John Goodman puts it, you want to get yourself in the position of "fuck you".

Starting somewhere builds up a feedback loop. The more you progress in one of the pillars the easier it becomes to progress in others. Having a healthy social life will help your career and mental health. Being physically healthy will improve your social life and mental health. And being financially healthy will improve all others. Having the money to eat right, not worry about bills, and go out to do fun things will keep you healthy overall.

I like to think of it like taking care of plants. Do you just water it once and forget about it? Fuck no, you have to keep doing it. Every day I think, have I watered my physical plant (gone to the gym?) Have I watered my mental plant (read a book?) My social plant (hang out with friends and meet new people?) And my financial plant (set money aside/ask for a promotion/work hard for a bonus?)