This advice is mostly for young women about dangers to avoid in life. Once you get older it becomes much harder, though not impossible, to change your personality.

Keep an eye on your personality as you go through life. The Blue pill will teach you that there is this thing called The Self, and that you must always be true to it. The Self is who you “really are” and that you are always perfect as you are. It will tell you that you shouldn’t let anyone make you “feel bad” about yourself, it will tell you to ignore any feelings of inadequacy, it will tell you that nothing is wrong with you, and that everything is the result of other people’s failings.

Unfortunately, these are just some of the many pretty lies of the Blue Pill.

This way of thinking provides a mountain of hamster food and can be used to justify anything. Are you an obnoxious prick? “Well that’s just who I am and no one can judge me for that because I am being true to myself.” Are you unfriendly and abrasive? “Well that’s other peoples’ problem. If they can’t accept me for who I am that’s their problem.”

Instead, the self is more like a tree and you are the gardener whose job it is to protect and cultivate it as it grows. Life will provide many fires, storms, lightning strikes, insect infestations, and blizzards that could leave you with a deformed, hideous, and sickly tree. It is your job to protect your tree from these negative influences. Know what a healthy tree looks like, and aim for that.

If as you go through life you notice yourself becoming obnoxious, abrasive, snotty, jaded, bitchy, selfish, humorless, bitter, resentful, spiteful, manipulative, negative, morbid, nasty, cruel, or lazy it is time to both cut out of your life those people and conditions that are influencing you in such a way, and to inwardly cultivate positive virtues. You can be friendly, personable, charming, charismatic, warm, open, graceful, and so on. It is not just a matter of “that’s just not who I am.”

You may have to cut people out of your life who are negative influences, you may have to find ways to silence the inner voice that urges the easy path of not doing the hard work of tending your tree, you may have to undo the damage of years of negative influences. But it can be done, you can be awesome.