I am at a loss as to how to advise my son (age 22). He wants to go to college, but has no money. I told him that when I was his age (37 years ago), I was thousands of miles from home working my ass off and socking away money like crazy so I could go to college. I told him to find a dirty, dangerous, and difficult job, no matter where he has to go, and sock away as much money as he can. When I was his age, I was working as a cook on an ice breaker in the Arctic. I was earning about three-to-four times what the minimum wage was at that time (with plenty of overtime). All my food and accommodations were included. I even picked up money on-the-side renting movies to the crew. I saved around $30,000 in two years (which would be the equivalent of around $75,000 in today's money).

I got that job with absolutely no credentials or certification of any kind. In those days, if a company could find anyone willing to do a job this shitty, they would hire them on-the-spot.

My son tells me that he can't find any jobs like this anymore anywhere in the world. I find that difficult to believe, but looking around, he seems to be right. These shitty jobs still exist, but they now either require certification or experience of some kind, or they have turned into minimum-wage jobs.

My question for AskTRP is: other than the military, are there any dirty, dangerous, and difficult jobs left anywhere in the world that pay big money and require no prior certification?

EDIT: Location (as requested in comments) is Canada.