I’ve been attending a mom and baby class with my daughter and have gotten to know a lot of the moms in my area. I live in a pretty “girl-boss” neighborhood and I have never met another SAHM my age. I’ve been hanging out with some of the other moms and recently told them that I’m planning on becoming a SAHM/working little from home as soon as my mat leave ends. The moms often put me down saying “I could NEVER be a SAHM. I would be depressed and go crazy being alone with my baby without any adult interaction. Why would you give up your career like that? So sad…” etc. I stopped bringing it up after these comments because in just felt embarrassed.

The other day I had a play date with one of the moms who said to me “I wish I could spend more time with my son after mat leave ends”. I talked to her about dropping to part time and she said how she can never do that. I described to her how my husband and I were making it work and she said “that’s so amazing. Honestly I would not tell the other moms about your plans anymore. They told how jealous they were that you get to stay home with your daughter and how you can make it work in this economy.”

I was so shocked. I wonder how many “girl bosses” actually think this way but put us down because they don’t want to admit it….