Why?
Why do obese people keep eating like crap, when they’re in danger of dying early? Why would someone with lung problems smoke another pack of cigs? Why would you chronically masturbate, obsessively play video games, stay in a dead-end job, or procrastinate on things?

The Habit Loop
Cue -> Routine -> Reward -> Repeat
It’s simple to understand when you break it down, but that doesn’t mean it’s simple to change. To illustrate, here was one my bad habit loops I changed:

Cue
When I’d wake up in the morning, I’d grab my phone to turn off my alarms/get on social media/ mindlessly scroll around. Sometimes 15 minutes and sometimes more than an hour. I’d show up late to things for no real reason. It was a habit, and a hard one to break. It’s so easy to unlock my phone and just scroll.

Response /Routine
Routine was my action or response to the craving. Wake up, have urge to scroll, start scrolling. Easy to see. Here is the hard part to figure out; WHY do you do this routine? This wasn’t clear (not to me anyways). Why would I waste time to the point of it affecting me? This required some experimenting to answer.

Reward
We’re beings that are driven by our neurological systems and the chemicals ours brains produce (serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine). Sure, I’d get a dopamine surge from being on my phone. But it wasn’t like the surge of having an orgasm or eating greasy food. But my problem wasn’t masturbation or eating like shit. Spending too much time on my phone was, and it didn’t even feel good like an orgasm does.

So, then I start my experiment. I know dopamine isn’t the culprit. Maybe my phone is too accessible to me? Nope. Didn’t help to put it across my room. Put my phone in grayscale? Nahhh. Delete social media apps? No help, I’m scrolling through emails for fun.

Luckily, this experiment didn’t take me long to figure out. I figured my craving is to do something stimulating when I wake up, NOT just to scroll through my phone. It helps me wake up and gets my day started. The problem was that my response to this craving was TOO stimulating and stole too much time. My new response and reward: stimulate my brain in a productive way so I wake up in the morning.

Here’s my new routine:

Cue: Wake up and STAND UP.

Response: Now standing, I feel I must do something. I found setting up bright lights, making my bed, a quick clean, and a hot shower work for me. Done with trial and error by doing different routines and seeing how rewarded I felt. The trick is to find a routine that prevents you from falling into the old habit. Jotting stuff down helps when experimenting.

Reward: Stimulating can be good but stay away from overstimulation. Reading books wasn’t good; I’d get sucked in and waste time. It was TOO rewarding. Bright lights indicate it is time to wake up, cleaning and making my bed builds momentum in my day, and taking a hot shower feels better than being in bed while allowing me to think and plan my day for a few minutes. All of these are rewarding to me.

This is the habit loop and it explains why it’s SO hard to stop bad habits. But there’s good news: Habits are POWERFUL and can be learned or changed.

If you want to quit a bad habit, it’s not hard if you follow the habit loop. It just takes time.

Think about your cue. What craving does it trigger? Change your response to this craving by using your brains reward system. Make sure your new response is rewarding. Deleting social media, gray scaling my phone, and putting it farther away didn’t work because it wasn’t rewarding. My new morning routine is because if I don’t get as much accomplished as I wanted by the end of the day, at least I made my bed and cleaned my room.

DO NOT try to make too many habit changes at once. The people who fail at changing bad habits try to change too much at once. It can be overwhelming or unsustainable for long term change. Instead, aim for small and consistent changes.

Start with bad habits that need to be changed ASAP and work in baby steps, one at a time. Write these down in order of most needing change to least. Here’s a few quick examples:

• If you’re a smoker, slowly reduce the number of cigs you smoke. Figure out your cue (stress?), craving (stress relief), and change your response to a rewarding one (music, food, etc.). There are lots of supplements out there to help.

• If you’re obese, change your eating habits by getting rid of foods one by one. What food doesn’t even taste good, but you still eat it? When I was overweight, that was fast-food. I was eating for the convenience and not the taste. Meal prepping was a game changer.

• Procrastinating is a bad habit I still struggle with. Why? I figured its because I hate that task I must do. Sometimes, so much, that I procrastinate by doing other things I don’t hate as much (washing dishes, etc). I partially get over this by simply getting started (cue). Even if I tell myself I’ll only work for 10 minutes, that cue is usually long enough that I’ll keep working.

Habits are powerful
Your brain has willpower that works like a muscle. Willpower is the control you have to do or NOT to do something. Do you have the willpower to lay off video games, eating pizza, and overindulging? Do you have the willpower to work out, study, and go to sleep early?

The daily decisions you make (studying, reading, practicing self-control) lower your willpower. This explains why you have the willpower to make some positive changes in your life, but not all the ones you need. It also explains why some tasks lower your willpower quicker than others. For example, studying calculus for an hour may drain you more than 2 hours of watching a movie. Similar to working out, lifting heavier weights may tire you more than lighter ones.

Neurologists have made HUGE strides in studying habits. According to the book The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, habits lower the amount of willpower it takes to accomplish a task. In a lab experiment done with rats, sensors are strapped on a rat to monitor neurological activity as a rat is put in a maze to find chocolate. After monitoring the rat through 150 iterations, the research found that repeating the maze so many times lowered the neurological activity in the rats.

In fact, the habit of the rat going through the maze to find the chocolate lowered neurological activity so much, the rat had the same neurological activity as if it were sleeping! Waking up and brushing your teeth has probably become such a habit, you’re neurological levels look similar to that of the rat in the experiment.

Why do we care?
Utilizing this idea is POWERFUL and can be absolutely life changing. It shows that you can get yourself out of a rut and back onto the path you want to be on. I’ve personally gotten stuck a few times and I know that doing anything feels draining and tiring during these times.

The key to create these good habits is to repeatedly do activities, even if you DON’T want to. Doing something half assed is better than not doing it AT ALL. The sole reason is to build the habit to the point that you can do it so effortlessly, you might as well be sleeping, like a rat going through a maze for the 150th time to find chocolate.

If you’re interested in watching a more detailed analysis, look up the Tedx Talk called The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg on YouTube or give his book a read.

https://i.imgur.com/RhIRwFX.png