I'm listening to a podcast Dear Therapist with Guy Winch and Lori Gottlieb. Guy was talking about how he describes relationships and I thought this was sooooo insightful

" Relationship dynamics are like wet cement. When the cement is wet at the beginning you can mold it, you can make changes, you can shift things around, shape it. But the moment it hardens, it's very difficult to mold. You have to take a hammer and chisel to it. and it hardens really quickly. There's an unspoken contract we enter when we're starting to date someone in which we’re communicating nonverbally that if I'm not calling you on something it must be okay with me. If' I'm not bringing up something or trying to change something I’m agreeing to it, tacitly. So we have to pay incredible attention, in the early stages and I mean early as in the first ten, fifteen dates. Because everything you're accepting then, and you're accepting if you're not voicing that you're not, you are kind of signing on for the long term. So to say that "I'll address that later", the cement will be dry, it will be much much harder. You have to pay a lot of attention very early." - Guy Winch S1E16