There have been a lot of new users actively participating on the RPW sub recently, which is wonderful as well as encouraging. There are a few things I wanted to address, that will (hopefully) make everyone's experience on the RPW sub more pleasant and enjoyable. Some users are going through a 'bumpy' introduction here for a few reasons:

1. Attitude/snark

2. Assuming an authoritative role

3. Not listening and getting defensive

Building a reputation on this sub does not happen overnight. It requires time, consistent participation, useful input and good feedback. When you are new, no one will have any idea who you are, what you're about, or how reliable your input is going to be. Trust is not automatic, it has to be earned. Until you become an endorsed and well known member of this community it is always better to err on the side of caution. Do not adopt a condescending or snarkish tone, it will not be well received. There are different ways to go about making your point without giving everyone the impression that you are an uppity witch.

If you post a thread on this sub, be prepared for honest feedback. You may not hear things that you like, or even want to admit - so before you fly off the handle and start arguing with users, take a deep breath. Members here are going to tell you what you need to know, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to digest. We are here to be the best women we can be, to minimize our faults and become better versions of ourselves. You cannot walk in out of the blue and start throwing your ego around like you already know everything. That's going to rub everyone the wrong way, and immediately make people wary.

You have to consistently provide good feedback before other users are going to start considering you to be a decent source of information and advice. If you want to be respected, then you have to pay your dues and show respect. You can disagree with anyone if you want to, but if you take the time to be respectful, show sincerity, and ask for clarifications gently then your discussions will be more insightful and productive.

On another note, if a Moderator warns you that your behavior is out of line, do yourself a favor and listen. The mods have a lot on their plate to deal with, and navigating certain issues takes a lot of time and energy. The Moderating team is doing everything it can to make this sub run smoothly, throw out destructive users, and make sure RPW is full of good material. Many users here make life easier for the mods by self-patrolling. When you see bad advice, feel free to disagree and explain why it doesn't work. Furthermore if you notice troublesome remarks or content, don't hesitate to hit the "Report" button, and then shoot the Mods a quick message explaining why you reported the comment(s). The Mods do their best to sift through all the conversations, but sometimes things slip through the cracks.

If you are posting a question and explaining a problem - be sure to acknowledge the role you played in creating the problem. Every story has two sides, and problems don't crop up simply because one person suddenly decided to make waves. Practice some self-awareness, display some humility, and own up to your short-comings from the start. You are not blameless, and you are not perfect. Furthermore, do not bash your man and paint him in a bad light.

For example, instead of writing:

"My SO is a slob and never picks up after himself"

Try using a more neutral tone:

"I'm looking for suggestions and techniques I can implement to make it easier to keep our home clean. We are constantly on the go as a couple, and keeping the laundry situation under control has been really hard lately, so creating a more efficient system is something I really want to do, I'm just now sure how to go about making it happen. Right now, clothes will pile up on the floor a lot more than they used to. I know that I personally haven't been diligent about running loads of wash on Friday's like I used to, which I need to work on. What system do you ladies use to make sure all the laundry gets done and your space stays tidy?"

Granted, creating a neutral tone may take a bit longer to write, but if something's worth saying - then it's worth taking the time to say properly. Instead of framing problems that land solely at your man's feet, make them a problem you are both dealing with as a couple, or a problem that has been created by your own actions. Focus on things you can control - which mostly begins and ends at your feet. You cannot control other people, so focus on how you can be better, and the changes you can incorporate into your life.

Keep in mind that if you participate on this sub, you will most likely need to swallow your pride at one point or another. Grow some thicker skin if you intend to butt-heads with other users. If you can't let go of disagreements and move on, then take extreme care to always adopt a neutral and non-aggressive tone. Be kind to one another - but understand that sometimes kindness comes in the form of tough love.

Comments, suggestions, concerns and discussion are all encouraged.

:0)