Hi ladies,

I don't think the RP life is for me but do agree that appearance has a huge effect in how we are treated as women. Lately after a disastrous abusive relationship I've been rethinking my fashion choices. I'm done playing games with men and want to look no nonsense, but still sexy in a subdued way. I'm nearly 28 and feeling like Forever21 and Brandy Melville aren't exactly saying "respect me". Heard this community was known for great fashion advice so here I am.

The particular hurdles I face are that I'm petite (5'3", \~115 lb) and too much of a tomboy to feel comfortable presenting myself in super feminine clothes. I have some curves but also some angles (broad shoulders, thin arms) to my body and more of an angular, longer face. So a lot of nice stuff is either too big or too "soft" to look good on me. Dresses and skirts have to be high waisted and basically fingertip length or maxi length in order to flatter my legs' shape, which means if I'm going for a modest look I have limited options. Right now the look I'm considering involves fitted button up dress shirts and long thick woollen skirts. I guess a professor or schoolteacher vibe, with the occasional military element for outdoorsy activities (combat boots, trench coat).

How do I keep this from looking frumpy and awful? I know I need to make sure the shirts are well-fitted and that the skirts accentuate my waist, but I dislike wearing high heels or anything else that squeezes my toes together. Cardigans and sweaters are always too big or too long. Shirts are always migrating out of the waistbands and making my upper half look like a balloon. In general as an intellectual I have trouble keeping myself look neat. I feel there ought to be jewelry in here somewhere but unsure where to start. I've been fond of small thick (ring size) hoops and tiny diamond studs as far as earrings go.

Any advice is welcome, especially advice about where to shop.

​