So I bought my mom a gift that my brother wanted to chip in on, 50/50, in addition to dinner which we’d split.

I hadn’t thought about the math because I am always busy doing other shit, but I bought the gift about a week ago. As soon as we got done with dinner my brother starts throwing math at me, after I was pretty buzzed. I said, “wouldn’t it be this way ___” and he was arguing. I tried to stop talking because u/MattyAnon says not to argue with retards, but my brother’s wife was all “WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER AGREED TO THIS THEN”. Then I said, “I’ve had some drinks so I have to think about it” and my brother took this to mean that I was accusing him of stealing or something. He then said, “you should be able to figure it out, you’re the one that graduated”, both implying that I’m dumb and also him trying to grab some dignity because evidently he feels like a failure for dropped out of high school like ten years ago. I’ve never shamed him for not graduating.

All this time, his wife was saying, “We shouldn’t have agreed to it!!!”

Then he started bitching about gas and I mentioned that my house is in the same direction (they literally had to pass my street to get home and we live 1 mile away anyway even if they had to go out of their way. Not to mention, I was going to offer to pay for gas since I know they’re anal about this which I found out last time we had a big argument). The reason I don’t drive to places when we go out is because I don’t like to drink and drive and his wife doesn’t drink much and is always the designated driver anyway. My brother said, “it’s not about direction” and his wife said, “it is the same direction”. Then he starts saying, “Yeah it’s always the same direction, the same direction my life has always been.” I don’t know what kind of Hucklberry Finn shit he was talking about here but I just said we’ll talk about it later. He then kept saying, “No, we’re square. We’re square.” In a bitchy attitude.

I got out of the car at a red light and said, “I’m taking an Uber home since you guys want to bitch about 20 cents.”

I took an Uber home. I later found out from my mom (who I wasn’t going to involve but my brother did) that they were mad about the drive to the restaurant, but I don’t see the issue since they had to go there anyway, and I drove 108 miles round trip to get the gift I got that we were splitting. The restaurant is a 26 mile round trip.

Anyway, since he wants to act like a bitch and say, “we’re square.” Over and over, I’m planning on not paying him.

I’m not nearly as upset about this as previous arguments that we’ve had, but I’m honestly pretty annoyed with people in general at this point. I constantly try to better myself and even learn dynamics about how to avoid arguments without being a bitch while also not escalating, but it seems like people expect me to be a bitch and just agree to everything.

Thoughts?