A while ago, I got a new roommate. Let’s call her Jess. Jess and I are both the same age, and I would say fairly similar (income, looks, personality etc.). Now, before I get started, I would like to address the inevitable questioning about having a female roommate. We are not physically attracted to each other, have never and will never be intimate, and to be quite honest, I couldn’t give a shit if my roommate was male, female, or alien - as long as my bills get cut in half. We get on quite well and she is a good roommate.

Now, I swallowed the red pill earlier this year, and since Jess moved in, never before have I seen such a perfect example of literature coming to life. You know those exams in school or college you studied for, and then walked into the exam, read the paper, and thought to yourself “Fuck, I literally know all of this, I’ve read it all before”. Yeah? Well that’s how I thought watching the following events take place in front of my own eyes.

Guy number 1: A few years older than Jess and I (we’re early twenties). Decent looking guy in his own right, and certainly more established than a lot of the guys my age. They met on Tinder and started seeing each other soon after Jess moved in with me. Quite quickly I realised this guy was a bit of a beta. It seemed like every night he was over, buying food and hanging out with her. Jess and I would go out every Saturday night with mutual friends, and she would snapchat him drunken debauchery featuring myself and several of my guy friends. Guy number 1 did not like this, and made it known to her in a thinly veiled attempt of concealing his jealousy.

This went on for a few weeks. Several nights ago, Jess asked me if I wanted ice cream - to which I answered yes, assuming she was going to order some delivery. To my absolute fucking shock, she picks up her phone, calls guy number 1, and tells him she’s craving ice-cream. Mind you, this is 10pm at night and he wakes up for work very early in the morning. Sure enough, 30 minutes later guy number 1 rocks up with ice-cream. The kicker? He didn’t even get sex.

Guy number 2: Right in the middle of Jess’s interactions with guy number 1, she meets guy number 2 on a Tinder date. He drives over an hour to see her. During the date, she mentions her car is having mechanical issues. He proposes that she drive to his house, drop the car off so he can repair it for free, and in the mean time he will lend her his BRAND NEW sports car to drive while he fixes the car. Bear in mind, this is within 90 minutes of meeting her. While recounting the story to me later that night, she remarks that the offer from guy number 2 is “just fucking weird” and “way too nice, he’s just doing it for sex”. Unsurprisingly, she was completely turned off by this pathetic show of beta behaviour, and subsequently ghosted him.

Guy number 3: Jess meets him in a nightclub. He immediately starts talking about serious shit like world events and philosophy. He leaves for a few minutes to get drinks, and in his absence, his friend starts chatting up Jess. Guy number 3 returns, sees this, and literally has a mini tantrum. Soon after, he hands Jess a piece of paper with his phone number and name on it. Jess awkwardly holds it in her hand until she leaves the club (but not before snapchatting everyone a picture of the note ridiculing him).

Now, back to guy number 1. Jess and I were talking the other night about people we had been seeing, and guy number 1 came up. She mentioned key things such as “too nice”, “too clingy”, “drops everything to come see me”, and “sounds like he wants a relationship”. Two minutes later, she had reactivated her Tinder profile.

Fast forward to the next evening. Jess now has 14 “super likes” and has been messaged by no less than 10 guys in less than 24 hours. All of them want to take her on a date, and reply almost instantly to her messages.

All of this behaviour is not surprising to most of us. I found it so incredibly fascinating to experience it so intimately, especially after reading about it on some internet forum and struggling to accept it as reality. I hope this post sheds some light into the basics of red pill theory for the newbies among us.