I was sitting at a bar back in the town I grew up in, but moved away from after high school a few years back. One of the bartenders was a girl I knew growing up who I hadn't spoken with in some time--we'll call her Sarah. The other bartender was a fairly pretty young woman, too--Jessica.

​

So I'm sitting there drinking my beer and chatting with the older gentleman next to me. Him and I get to talking about how I grew up around here and actually knew Sarah from way back when. His daughters go to the same high school Sarah and I did. He says she's pretty--I agree. He asks me why don't I talk to her now and catch up. I say because she's busy running laps around the bar, doing her job and I don't care to bother her. He says he'll help me and he shouts at her:

"Sarah! Hey! This guy wants to know where you live."

Gee thanks buddy. I get it was an attempt at humor but did you really have to throw me under the bus? We were getting along just fine--this is not how you wingman.

I decide to say nothing. Jessica puts on a mean, sassy sort of look like she's practiced on all the bitches that doublecross her and she says to me "Why do you want to know that? So you can stalk her? Huh?"

I still say nothing. I raise my eyebrows to give a look that says "Are you fucking kidding me? I didn't even ask that. Thanks, though." and held that frame without budging. Her expression completely flips into a worried, frantic look and she starts yammering "I was just kidding! I was just kidding! Sorry!"

​

You're god damn right you were just kidding.

​

Had I defended myself I would've, well, been put on the defensive. I would've had to justify a totally offputting, low SMV thing I didn't actually say and I would've looked completely weak. So remember--you can't let them break you down. You know who you are, you know what you say, and you are not going bother falling into their little trap to make you look weaker than you are. Go forth and hold frame, folks.

EDIT: As other posters have pointed out, I realize I was wrong. I made a mistake. I should've kept it fun and lighthearted, and I should've agreed/amplified. I suppose I was more concerned with "holding frame" at all costs than just holding the frame of having a good time and enjoying myself--which I was up until that point (and even was after). Let this post be a lesson that we all still have learning to do on our journey toward redpill happiness.