Been a while since my last post and wanted to share a little something I've been using nearly everyday on my journey to better myself and keep improving SMV. It brings me the motivation/discipline to do the things I know I want/need to do.

If you've tried to build a new healthy habit in your life, no matter what is was, you've always been faced with a choice during a particular moment. You know the one; the decision moment. You planned something in advance, then the time comes to either do what you planned to or put it off (or for the new TRPers here, never even attempt to reschedule it). I'm especially guilty of this in the past. I'd even write it down or set alarms on my phone and I'd STILL fucking put it off. Recently, another question just started popping in my head;

What's the alternative?

In other words, if you choose to put this off now, what would you be spending your time doing in place of it? Every single time I picture what I would be wasting my fucking time doing instead of what I had planned, I straight Lose my shit.. and then end up WANTING to do it in that exact moment. "Fuck that.. I'm doing it right now. I'm not gonna be that asshole that squanders his time on things that don't help me" becomes the voice in my head. Then it snowballs and I start remembering what's to be gained by honoring my commitment and I'm reminded that The things I don't want to do today are my joy and happiness tomorrow.

For example, the other day I was just getting over a stomach flu and it was my normal time to hit the gym. The voices of rationalization and laziness start to emerge;

"You haven't eaten shit lately, you should probably just rest an extra day so you don't injure yourself." "Bro, you haven't been able to eat carbs for 4 days, your workout would just suck ass anyways"

I asked myself, "What's the alternative?"

I would of sat on my fucking ass watching youtube videos. FUCK THAT. I went anyway and I was shredded af after losing 5 pounds from the flu and pulled a number from a gym hottie I'd been eye fucking for a couple months.

Another example, was invited to a jam night by a younger guy in his teens to "possibly get a band started". Good drummers are hard to find in my city so I get this message from rando's a lot. Lately, I've been burnt out on packing my drums up and going out to random dudes houses to audition and see if they're any good. Sad reality is most of them are trash and I have to repack all my shit up again and drive it back. I agree to it. An hour before the schedule time, I get the check in text to make sure I'm still coming..

Again the rationalizing voices;

"They're just kids bro, they probably suck at their instruments. Let's just make up some boooowlshit and cancel"

"Dude.. FUCK packing my set up again. It's cold af out.."

Right before I was about to send the text that I'm flaking, I asked myself, "What's the alternative?"

I would of chilled at home or gone to a bar and drank which I can do any fucking weekend. FUCK THAT. I fucking LOVE playing on stage and if this will give me the slight opportunity to do it than it's worth it.

I just left that audition an hour ago. These kids are young, but fucking insanely talented and completely organized in their practicing. No fucking around whatsoever. Everything was productive, not to mention their equipment and recording setup is flawless. I was blown the fuck away by their dedication and professionalism.

Needless to say, I'm super stoked to be working with real musicians and getting back on stage again. I would of never known or guessed it would be worth it had I not asked myself "What's the alternative" and honored my commitment.

I'd like to hear your feedback on if this works for you. Go forth, Be cool and Kill Shit!

TLDR:

1. Ask yourself "What's the alternative?" when contemplating whether or not to skip/put off something you've planned. The thought of what would you would do instead and wasting time will piss you the fuck off enough to get you to take action.

2. Seize your opportunities. Especially you introverts out there. Don't flake. Go do that something you agreed to. It's worth it, I promise. You'll thank yourself. Like Patrice O' Neal said, "GET OUT THE HOUSE DUDE, GET OUT THE FUCKIN' HOUSE!"