There always seems to be a very fine line between being cocky and being confident. There is always a confusion about what exactly being cocky is, and what being confident is. Someone might say that someone is a cocky person. Someone might say that someone is confident. As if its a trait of their personality, but it's not white and black. In fact, I can be cocky and confident at the same time. I can even be insecure. Depends on the situation, and it depends on the perspective. This may seem obvious to someone of you, but i think it needs to be said.

​

Cocky is when you overestimate. It's when you don't know enough, and your narrow understanding makes you believe you have control over something. Maybe it's playing a video game, maybe it runs deeper. At the end of the day, it's a lack of understanding and an overestimating of one's self. If I believe I'm the best, and things don't go my way, it can't be my fault. "She's just a bitch", "The system is rigged", "He got lucky". When you're cocky, and you fail, you don't learn. You'll never become a better person, you'll stay in the mud blaming the rain. You put yourself in a feedback loop, motivated, because you got something to prove, and every time you lose it's everything to you.

​

Insecurity is the same deal, except you're afraid. You protect yourself from the truth, and it's not because you think you're better than everyone else. You're afraid of what it means to fail.

​

Confidence isn't about winning. It's not about losing. It's an understanding that there are things you are good at, and there are things you are bad at. It's a relationship with the truth, its a truth you trust and know a lot about. It's being real with yourself and knowing when to quit, and when to commit. Winning and losing becomes the same thing, only a measure of what you did right, what you did wrong, and if you have what it takes.

​

The biggest take away from this, is a simple one. When you are willing to fail, you are willing to learn. Don't let emotions cloud your understanding of truth.

​

Hopefully this clears things up. If not, feel free to call me a beta bitch.