TL;DR

A guy at my college had a girlfriend who threatened to break up with him if he took a high paying job at Google, out in California. He decided to work at a small company in the Midwest instead, only for her to break up with him a few months later.

BODY

My college is home to one of the top Computer Science programs in the world (I'm currently in finance but took plenty of CS courses, transferring into the department next semester), and it is common for graduates from the program to get very lucrative job offers, both from the biggest names in the industry, as well as successful startups. One senior at our university, and a brilliant student, was dating a freshman. This guy received a job offer from Google, which is widely regarded as the greatest major company that you can work for. The salary and benefits associated with the job, as well as the location, are something that plenty of people across the nation would dream of.

Problem is, his girlfriend wouldn't have it. She said that she didn't want to try a long distance relationship, and that if he took the job and moved to California, she would break up with him. For most people on this sub, the decision would be painfully obvious; bring the relationship to a close, take the job at Google, and enjoy a new level of luxury in life.

Sadly, this guy didn't make the obvious choice. He instead turned down a job that many of people would die for, and took one at a smaller company in Chicago instead, all to be closer to her. The story up to this point is plenty for a BP example; someone choosing a girl over a prestigious job with a starting salary averaging 130k. Here's the kicker: a few of months into the start of this semester, she broke up with him, claiming that she's "only 19" and needs to "experience new things". And so the hero of our tale ends up with no job at Google, no aprtment in California, and no girlfriend. The end.

Lessons Learned

What do you want me to say? Its obvious that you should never let a girl have any level of control over your life. If he hadn't given a single inch in the past, I doubt she'd even consider making such a demand. Overall, just an example of the lengths some people will go to for a girl, and why its never worth it.