So I was working through a collaboration contract, meaning I had my own company and collaborated with another company from the US. I was working this way because in my country if I work as a company I have to pay less taxes than if I was an employee (10% instead of 45%).

This job was highly paid from my country (I live in Easter Europe and the payment was at US level).

The only disadvantage is that, in this way of working basically I can be fired on the spot, without the 20 days notice.

And this just happened this morning.

Recently I moved into a new place, a penthouse in the center of the city, bought a Lexus, just got in a LTR with a very traditional (and virgin) girl (not a unicorn, I know AWALT) and basically living the good life.

But toady I just woke up to an email that said that the US company no longer need my services. When I talked with the boss he said I became to expensive for them.

This just left me stunned and full of regret because, if you look into my post history you will see that no longer than a couple of months ago I received a job offer that was paying a lot more than this one, but I turned it down because I liked my work here and the work environment.

But probably you wonder how did that happened? Well, me and some other co-workers had a fight with my boss regarding the salary, and I used my other offer to force his hand, he gave in and gave us the raise, but after that, in a month or so, he began hiring new people, students, that are payed way less than us. They are no way near our level, but they are cheap.

I almost had a panic attack when I got the news in my email. I didn't know what to do. But I calmed down, replied that I understand their decision, opened linkedin and started looking for other jobs. That's life. Basically just a month ago I was telling to myself that I made it and I have everything I want and now, for a second, I felt like I could lose everything. But that's not true, I know I can work hard and I can get a job just as good, and I will do it. This is just small setback that I will get over. But I learned some things from this.

​

1. If you get a better job offer, take it and don't use it to squeeze your boss. He will now know you can leave and will find that small window of time when he doesn't 100% need you and will fire you then because he believe he has the time to fill your spot.
  2. If you have a better job offer, take it. Fuck the work environment, fuck the company loyalty, fuck the "company mission". Yeah, I was working on cool stuff, but fuck that, at the end of the day all that matter is the paycheck.
  3. Keep your moral up and don't worry about things you can't control. You have to be stoic in every situation.
  4. I always thought you have to make yourself valuable to the company. You have to be loyal and grow old and respected in a workplace. Fuck that. Be a mercenary, only the money speak.
  5. Don't believe your boss is you friend. I did that. I was wrong.
  6. Don't get too attached to your workplace.
  7. Don't get comfortable. I did that. If I got fired some time ago I would have 5 job offers waiting for me, because I was always going to interviews. Now I have none. I know I will get a job, but these couple of hours till the phone rings are killing me.
  8. Have an emergency fund for these kind of days. Save up. I kind of spent money like crazy in the last couple of months, buying expensive things and partying every weekend.
  9. Nobody cares about you. I haven't told anybody I got fired. I'll just tell them I switched jobs.

And the last advice. If they FUCK with you, YOU FUCK WITH THEM.

I just told what happened to my co-workers who I have been working and became really good friend over the years. They all decided to look for other jobs since they believe this will happen to them too (being fired for cheaper programmers). They are 4, if 2 of them leave two projects with major clients are fucked completely and the boss won't be able to meet the deadlines, I can guarantee that.

You fuck with me, I fuck with you. Stay strong brothers! Always!

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with the CEO of the company that I rejected in order to stay in this place. He wants me to go over there tomorrow to sign the papers and he gave me the same offer with a little extra on top. He claimed I was the best guy he interviewed in a long time. Always know your value brothers!