It’s been a while since I have posted on here. For a very good reason; I simply have been to busy to do so. What led me to create this post, was a thought that has been on my mind for quite some time now.

I get messages all the time about self-discipline.

“How do I get disciplined!?”

How do you become the person that does the right thing. The kind of person that when they know they need to do something, they just do it. Clients have asked me this, acquaintances have asked me this and people on reddit have asked me this. Very often, they will say something along the lines of “I know what I need to do to improve, but I just don’t do it! Help me!”

Let’s hope that by the end of this post/rant, you will have some insight in how to get more disciplined. Let me show you how me as a person, that comes from slaving away his hours playing Runescape and Call of Duty transformed himself into a disciplined guy that owns multiple businesses and is in great shape.

I was considered to be one of the least disciplined people among my peers. My family and friends considered me a “funny guy”, but never disciplined. I never did my homework on time, I postponed projects, always pushing things until the very end. Procrastination was a word that could be used to describe my former self.

Now I’m here. I own multiple companies, of which my main company serves hundreds of clients a year, I hit the gym 4 times a week and my diet consists out of clean, whole foods. How do I do all this?

--

Learn to sacrifice quick dopamine.

-- These days, there are way too many external factors impacting your life. Instant gratification is the new cigarettes. Most people wake up with their cellphone and go to sleep with their cellphone. Hell, a lot of people lack the attention to finish watching a 10-second Snapchat video. Exactly this is the problem that a lot of people have.

--

Discipline is no more than swapping out the concept of “short-term comfort, long-term suffering” with “short-term suffering, long-term comfort”

--

You can have six pack abs.

But only if you decide to count macros for the following 3 months.

--

You can make six figures in a year.

But only if you decide to work your ass off for as long as it takes.

--

You can close HB9’s

But only if you stop being an autistic fuck and start approaching.

Do you see what I’m getting at?

When I was working my ass off, hitting the gym consistently, building up a company from scratch, counting my macros and improving my social life, what do you think my peers were doing?

-- They were doing jack fucking shit.

-- They were keeping up with the latest celebrity news, watching sports, partying, not working hard etcetera.

I have had to give up those thing for a brief period because I knew what the endgame was. You should do so too.

Finally, you need to learn that discipline is not end all be all. Discipline is a transition phase. You need HABITS. Habits is what really make a man. Your discipline will only last for so long. When you fully engrain an activity into your life, you won’t even try to resist. Going to the gym used to be something I needed discipline for. Nowadays, as it has been so engrained into my life, I would need discipline to NOT go.

I wrote a post on TRP nearly a year ago about building habits.

Check it out over here.

TLDR: Use discipline as a stepping stone. Get used to doing what you hate to get the results that you love. Build habits, and watch yourself change.