Disclaimer: Not a native english speaker

TL;DR: I teach self defense and I get attacked by feminists on a regular basis. Feminism does not want strong women, because strong women can not play the victim card.

​

Intro:I have studied martial arts all my life. It startet off with karate at 4 years old, and now at 30 I do jiujitsu and MMA. I have taught people how to defend themselves and I have worked with underprivileged children as well as survivors of abuse and rape. I do all of this on the side and free of charge.

​

Body:

In the recent years, I have kept hearing an argument that disgusts me to my core:

"Instead of teaching women how to defend themselves, teach men not to rape."

Or as they put it in more recent times: "If you teach women self defense, you implicitly make them responsible for their rape. That is victim shaming."

Yes, I got attacked for teaching teenage girls how not to get roofied.

​

Obviously, there is no point to discuss the philosophical merits of this postulate. However, it led me to a deeper realization.

For those of you who do not know about this: It is almost impossible for a women to reliably overpower a determined man by means of unarmed physical violence - especially without years of full contact training. And all of the good self defense classes teach that fact.Furthermore, they teach how not to become a victim: By avoiding dangerous situations, by arming yourself, by scanning your surroundings, not getting drunk alone, not leaving drinks unsupervised, by planning ahead and by deescalating verbal confrontations. Kicking people in the balls is just a tiny fraction of personal protection.

By those means, a normal woman can lower her risk of rape to about the probably as getting hurt by a shark. Still happens, but it is incredibly rare.

​

Now, why would a person contest that?

Because if defies their narrative.

Because it implies that a woman can be the architect of her own safety, simply by means of sacrificing a little personal freedom. And really, it is just a tiny bit of freedom - if your regular recreational activities do not involve getting high on coke and following shady dudes into their rooms.

However, acting like this takes a conscious choice. It takes a conscious mental effort to change things. To take responsibility. Not for other people rapey intents, but for your own protection.

And a person that seeks change first within themselves is not a good voter base, not a good protester and surely not a good "ally".

​

Feminism does not want women who stand up for themselves.It wants women to think they are victims and hope for feminism to stand up for them.