Summary

This isn't a "what you should wear" post. It's not a fashion or style guide. This is a general discussion on what your appearance can and does say about you.

Body

Let me first begin by talking about why this belongs on the Red Pill, because your first inclination may be to write this off as some shitty personal advice. Or, you may have already escaped plato's cave and this is obvious to you. However, if framed in a specific way (which i'm about to do), your idea and importance of your appearance may change. I went through the first 29 years of my life wearing shitty clothes and shoes, getting shitty haircuts, and not realizing the signals I was sending to not only women, but other men.

The most important thing to understand with clothes, haircuts, jewelry, shoes, socks, watches, etc. is that it is a form of nonverbal communication. I'm sure you've heard this, but 60-65% of communication is done without using words--nonverbal.

Just like lifting creates muscle, which in turn signals your strength, stamina, etc., your appearance (clothes, etc.) signal different things. It quite literally says stuff about you. For example, imagine you are in line at the grocery store and see someone in front of you wearing this. You'd likely assume so many things about this person's profession (mechanic maybe?), skills, income, etc.

Women are naturally good nonverbal communicators. It makes sense too. For example, as a woman it would benefit you to be able to sense danger to you and your offspring. Women are generally weaker than men and being able to tune into nonverbal signs of danger would greatly benefit a woman. Also, being able to observe the characteristics in men that make them better than the next helps ensure good mates. For example, men with the posture of a head up and shoulders back are generally more competent and confident than someone with shoulders slumped forward. Our posture is actually driven by our limbic system which is way more honest than the neocortex which uses cognition and logic. It's been my experience that women are better than men at picking up on nonverbal communication and they are really good at seeing details. There may be several reasons including: they have more practice, they tend to observe more, they tend to use the limbic system more than the neocortex, etc. However, I don't know why this is the case, I just have observed it.

With all that said and without getting into a "fashion guide" I'll leave you with this advice -- choose your appearance consciously. You're strategy may be different than someone else (you may be a lawyer, musician, teacher, etc) and so I don't want to tell you exactly how you should dress. But, their are nonverbal appearance communications that are universal. For example, you know what this means without knowing any context. Same goes for your appearance. Hopefully your girlfriend, mom, or wife didn't dress you this morning. Assuming they didn't, that means you're to blame for the way you look. Man up and take control of what your telling everyone else. It's highly likely you wouldn't walk into a room full of people you don't know and shout "I don't have my shit together ladies, i'm low in social value, and i'm not good at anything."... Have you ever thought that maybe your appearance is doing that instead? Those dirty unpolished dress shoes you have on, they are telling other people you don't pay attention to detail. The hair that you haven't cut in 3 months, that's telling the girl at the bar "don't sleep with me" -- and you haven't even said a word. The list can go on and on.

Conclusion

In conclusion, consciously decide on these things: what clothes you wear, what cologne you use, your haircut, your jewelry/accessories, your tattoos, your facial hair, your shoes, etc. These things talk and women are listening. About a month ago I emptied my closet of all the shitty clothes and shoes I owned. I dropped about $2000 on a new basic attire that fits properly and isn't "trendy" (meaning they'd be fashionable for years). Not only do women notice, but men tend to want to talk to me more. I get a haircut and beard trim once every three weeks and get a lot of compliments on my hair. I clean my workout shoes on the weekends, polish my dress shoes for the work week, and wash my truck. These are the details women and men notice. There are all kinds of different shoes, cars, etc. but not a lot of them are well taken care of. Do the same with your body. Shave what you need to shave, eat what you need to eat. Let your presence alone say more than your words. I work in a profession in which I interact with highly successful people on a daily basis (one of my previous bosses sold his company for $500 million) and I've taken note on some of their characteristics. The most common trait I have found with these people is the attention to detail. So pay attention to your appearance and look at even the smallest things. My appearance used to say "I'm lazy and not willing to care about the little things". But, that's changing. I know everyone on the red pill says "just lift". Granted, lifting will increase your success with women and teach you discipline. Lift, but also do more. To me, the red pill is about maximizing all aspects of your manhood. Learning to maximize your appearance will take you to another level.