http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2011/08/12/single_man_wanted_a_child_hired_a_surrogate_had_a_baby.html

Morrison is now 31 and the biological father of a little boy born in India on July 26. He went to Mumbai, donated his sperm and paid an egg donor and a surrogate to carry his child. This makes him one of the few single men who have taken this unconventional route to parenthood. ... He has been in serious romantic relationships, and once bought an engagement ring for a girlfriend. She ended the relationship before he could propose. ... He insists that he doesn't have difficulty meeting women but is focused on his career, friends and family. ... “I occasionally go out with friends, but I'm 31 years old now and the social thing has died down. There's a lot of pressure that's put on people to be in a relationship and I just didn't want to get into that kind of tangled lifestyle. It wasn't for me,” he explains. “It doesn't mean that I can't and don't want to start a family.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379891/How-father-broke-boundaries-single-men-child-surrogate.html

When Louis DeFilippi's second wife left him when he was in his 50s, the biochemist's hopes of one day becoming a father faded. However, the Chicago scientist refused to give up his dream of having a family and began an unusual but fulfilling path to fatherhood by finding a surrogate mother to carry his daughter Anna seven years ago. ... While many men of the same age would have given up on their dreams of fatherhood after a second failed marriage, the 64-year-old from Palatine, Illinois, said: 'I decided to keep my life moving forward. I didn’t want my life to end at that point.' ... He conceded that his chances of meeting a woman who wanted to have children when he was in his late 50s were 'between none and zero'. ... The number of children born to gestational surrogates has also risen, from 738 in 2004 to 1,593 in 2011.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/straight-single-men-wanting-kids-turn-surrogacy/story?id=16520916

Gordon has been dating and searching for Ms. Right for more than two decades, but hasn't found a wife. Yet, he badly wanted to start a family. "I'm still hopeful," he said. "Some people are lucky in love. I haven't found luck yet. It's not for lack of trying." Steven Harris, a 57-year-old lawyer from New York, found himself in the same predicament. He knew he wanted kids but didn't have someone to have them with and said he felt a "profound sadness" about 15 years ago. ... So Gordon and Harris, both heterosexual bachelors, made the decision to become dads on their own through surrogacy, using their sperm and a donor egg. ... Both Gordon and Harris said they still have high hopes of one day finding a spouse. "Dating is a snap," Harris said. "Ben is a chick magnet."

Commentary:

Most of these men are older, but in at least one case we have a marriageable 31/M sidestepping the problem of finding a mate and going straight into fatherhood. Although this might not be the ideal case for everyone (where do I get the sex and hugs? call girls?) with enough publicity this might put some fear into the opposite side of the marriage market.

Bonus: no "wife costs" and avoidance of divorce risk. First comment to the last article:

Might as well do this rather than get married. 50% of marriages end in divorce and 80% of them are put forth by women. The number of homeless guys I've met at the soup kitchen I volunteer at who lost everything in a divorce is staggering. Rather just get a surrogate mother rather than take chances with modern women.