Over the past several weeks I've noticed a lot of guys supposedly "nexting" women, and in reality they have no clue as to what a next is or how it works.

Let's start of by why nexting works. A next is an intentional withdrawal of attention as punishment, due to some type of bad behavior on her part. Men crave sex, women crave attention, and electrolytes are what plants crave.

A hard next is completely cutting someone out of your life, and is pretty extreme. I've never had to use a hard next on a woman, but I don't fuck crazy. It may be necessary to hard next women that are exceptionally crazy, and otherwise people that are just bad for you (friends/family/etc). Some reasons why you WOULD hard next a woman would be things like...calling the police on you for a domestic, stalking, uninvited showing up at your house, stealing from you,etc. If you avoid crazy women in the first place, you shouldn't really have much of a reason to hard next them. A woman that's trying to waste your time/slot you as an orbiter would be worthy of a hard next (but there really isn't much investment by either party so it's whatever).

Where I see a lot of guys going wrong is with soft nexting. Soft nexts are when you withdraw all of your attention from her for a few days,because of something SHE did (if you prompted or provoked it, it's your fault she's being a cunt). Duration is determined by the degree of the offense, and degree of attention she requires (since this is different for different women). The other part of it (and where I see a lot of guys misunderstanding) is that she actually needs to be invested in you (you're actually fucking her). Investment on her part, is 100% necessary; otherwise it's not a punishment.

I see things like "I got this girls number and she blew me off for a date so I'm gonna soft next her", no you're not.... Obviously she wasn't interested enough to come out, so she really doesn't give a shit about your few days of NC. In a lot of the cases it's YOUR fault that resulted in the outcome, not hers. Didn't confirm a date, sent her a dickpick, became an orbiter, texted her like the thirsty chump you are, are all things that you did that blew it.

When you DO use softs (again this has to be a woman you're actually dating/fucking). When she intentionally picks a fight/starts an argument, takes her bad day out on you, throws you bullshit for no reason. In these cases she knows that she fucked up and that you're not talking to her as a result. Also, in most cases, you don't even need to explain anything...because they what they did and why they were being nexted.

TLDR:
Nexting is punishment.
Can't punish women you're not actually fucking