​

Exercising vs. Meditating
An hour concentrating on one motion or body part an hour concentrating on your breathing.
Losing form / failing at a lift- regroup, try it again poor posture / realising you have drifted away into thinking- bring it back again.
Developing physical muscle developing mind muscle.
Making time for a workout and sticking to a schedule making time for a sitting and sticking to it.
Focus on the lift, hold for a time, put it down again focus on mediation object, hold attention for a time, drop attention.
Various exercises to try while down at the gym various mental exercises to choose from while sitting.
Half an hour is fine but the real results are directly proportional to the time you put into it Half an hour is fine but the real results are directly proportional to the time you put into it
Stick with it, you will look and feel great after 6 months but the real results take years of dedication and training. stick with it, you will look and feel great after 6 months but the real results take years of dedication and training.

What you get out depends on what you put in.

The mind is there for training, just like the body

Lift (and Sit.)

​

Edit: A few handy tips then.

If you are totally new to it, start off with some of the guided meditations/ self hypnosis/ wierdo music tracks for 20 minutes just to fill the time- just jumping in and sitting will be a bit boring. You can get very good results from just being shown how to calm the fuck down and relax for a bit.

Go and take a few lessons with some like minded people. I'm not a big fan of the new age wooliness of some of the yoga types but it will help you at least tuern up if you are paying. They do often know their onions and, at the very worst, the yoga teacher can get her legs around the back of her head.

Books: The Power of Now, The Mind Illuminated. Alan Watts is/ was 'the fucking man' if you are wanting to get into zen/ buddhism/ religion- but I've not read so much by him on straight practice, which is where we are at here.

Sessions: I saw a few complaining that they can only do 5/10/20/30 minutes. I think that a big bullshit point getting pumped around a lot is that you HAVE to do ONE HOUR EVERYDAY!!! I mean, who has the time? I hear (I think it was Ghandi): 'if you are extremely busy then you should meditate for twice as long.' - or somesuch. Well lah dee fucking dah! It's true but just a touch on the condescending side, right? If I don't have the time because I'm busy, then I don't have the fucking time- period.

Just turning up at the gym is 99%. Same with mediation. Don't feel like the fact that you managed to claw your way up to an hour means that you have to do it everyday. Just do the 10/ 20 minutes and pump out that 40 mins/ 1 hour once a week when you have the space for it- ( Saturday morning instead of my old hangover works well for me). See it as your 1RM and gradually work towards doing it for reps. There is nothing like the feeling of hitting your 1RM though- it encourages you to do more. The effects of an hour on the cushion are likewise- something that will make you want to come back for more. The feeling of just having done it, alongside the lift it will give to your day, will have you coming back for more. OK- enough of the gym analogy.

Apps: Headspace, Insight timer- I don't like paying for headspace so I kicked it into touch after taking a look at the 10 day thing, which was good... I only need a timer with an interval bell- Insight timer also has a ton of free guided stuff- some better than others but on the whole good- just cherrypick. I'm quite impressed with it. Youtube has stuff, soundcloud has stuff etc etc.

Subreddit: I'm gonna come right out with it: I don't like the official subreddit- 'streamentry' is much more my style and works with The Mind Illuminated.

Have fun. I hope you get the results I do. It helps with power, frame, lifting, relationships- just life in general- it's a real rising tide underneath me. Focus on yourself and the world falls into line around you- trust the process, it's all true.