tl;dr If you feel like you're stuck in a rut and have been for awhile, then move. Relocating can do wonders.

You're a slave to your environment. No, that's not right. At least slaves can still think, even if it's on a primal level.

If you live in a shitty situation, you're thinking shitty thoughts constantly. The worst part is: You don't realize how shitty your own thoughts are. Even if your life is pretty good and you maintain regular self-care like fucking, lifting, socializing, meditation, eating clean, proper sleep, hobbies-- all these may not be enough.

Sometimes you've imprisoned yourself to your own living setup. I can't just move out, because I...

... signed a year lease with my girlfriend and it's only been a few months.

... got a mortgage for this condo and the market for renters is kinda bad.

... live next door to work, this is a great setup. Why the fuck would I leave?!

... pay next to nothing while living with this one awesome roommate.

... take classes full-time and don't have a job. How the hell can I leave my parents' house?

The more legitimate the excuse, the more bullshit I smell. These are all signs you put people and things ahead of yourself and your own well-being.

Don't get me wrong, moving is a bitch. Whether it's crosstown or cross-country, it's a fucking ordeal.

And that might be it. Moving may be necessary every so often because you may need new challenges. But you also don't know that is what you need.

You also need independence, because being tied down to a sexless LTR, a lease (there may be some costs and penalties, but it usually can be negotiated and cut short), an unending mortgage (fuck 30 years! or get the best rent/tenant you can and figure out the difference), a job (there are jobs elsewhere), school (you probably won't die if you take a year off), parents (you're not a kid anymore), cheap living (live cheap, think cheap, then there may be no abundance in life) -- this is all not good for you, especially after a couple of years.

If you disagree with me, then it better because I used the words "tied down." If you're in school because you'll be a badass doctor, lawyer or engineer someday, then you're not tied down but getting qualified, paying your dues. It will be all worth it someday.

But the question still remains: Why have I been stuck in this shitty rut for the past ____ years?

Do a mental exercise by treating yourself as a client, create an argument for a radical personal change. Why? How? When? To where?

Or just say: Fuck it, I'm moving.

I myself moved a couple months ago, just across town. I've also moved offices (I have a startup) and changed gyms. Jesus Protein Christ, I should've done it sooner. The clarity through which I see things today, especially my own thoughts, as opposed to the funk I was in just last winter... I'm shaking my head as I'm writing this.

Work on your internal, mental game by upending your external, physical world. The dividends can be fucking invaluable.