Most of the lifting advice on here encourages guys to focus exclusively on the Big 3 and stick to programs like 5x5, madcow, etc. This is great; especially for beginners. Everyone needs a foundation. But there is one constantly undertrained muscle group that can substantially boost your SMV:

• Neck

This is probably the most undertrained muscle group in every lifter I know; even the serious ones. I see exactly zero people doing direct neck work in the gym. I think it just never crosses most peoples' minds.

Why do you want a big neck?

Highly developed neck muscles will substantially increase the masculine aesthetic of your face. A wide neck will make your jaw appear more square. You will also appear to be a lower bf% than you actually are because the fat on your face/neck will be distributed over a larger surface area. Think about guys that have hyper-masculine/intimidating facial features (The Rock, other pro wrestlers, NFL linesman, Channing Tatum when bulked, etc). The main thing all these guys have in common aesthetically are thick necks. Maybe the best thing about neck training is that your neck is always exposed. You can spend months dieting for ripped abs but nobody gives a shit because you can't see them in clothes. With a thick neck, you always have an immediate display of physical dominance/power that also enhances your facial aesthetics.

Lucky for us, the neck is very responsive to training. You can add a few inches two your neck within three months of direct work. The neck works like any other muscle, so I'm not going to give you advice on sets/reps. That's up to you and your programming. My only advice is to train your neck at least as often as you train other muscle groups. However, I will leave you with three movements that will cover all your neck training needs:

• Neck curls (most important by far)
  • Neck extensions
  • Side neck raises

Any of these movements can be performed laying flat on a bench with a plate. Alternatively, you can purchase a neck harness if you get serious about your neck training. If using a plate, make sure to use a rag or something between your head and the plate. I'm not going to describe the movements here. They're simple enough; just google them.

I highly recommend neck curls when starting out. These will hit the major muscles in the front and sides of the neck, and will give you the most bang for your buck. They'll also correct your forward-head posture, which most of you probably have.

You simply can't go wrong with adding a neck accessory movement to your standard lifts. Hardly increases your recovery needs and can make a massive aesthetic difference. Go hit the iron.

Note: Originally inspired to do neck training by AlphaDestiny. He's a pretty decent fitness youtuber who advocates a variant of the Westside Barbell Conjugate system. Follow him for more info if interested.

EDIT: For those of you interested in boxing/MMA, neck training can help save your brain from trauma in the long run. Numerous studies show that neck strength/thickness help prevent brain damage from repetitive blows to the head by reducing whiplash and lateral movement of the cranium. Also makes you harder to KO.