I have always seen in movies and in T.V. as a kid that this idea of a dumb sports guy as being the villain and majority times the person that doesn't end up with girl, becomes a failure in life, works for the "nerd" later on. The work of MRA's has advocated for male and boy rights and has opened many an eye to male discrimination, and I can't help but feel this derogatory belief of the "Jock" is among that feminist agenda.

Let me preface the story. I was in the gym having a conversation with a friend of mine. We've both been through our soft days, simping after girls, being lazy, not caring. But we've both gotten over that and have embarked on a new journey: transformation. I've known this guy for a while, and although my friends and I have grown up (making businesses, graduating, becoming independent) this guy has transitioned the most. He now works out regularly(benching/deadlifting 3x45 each side, protein shakes, eating healthy, no drugs), is doing well in a very hard major at school, and gets all the female attention(even though he plays it off we can all see that girls are knocking on his door the most haha nudge nudge).

What struck me was how I said his life is looking up, but he claims that he is afraid of becoming a "Dumb Jock"?? saying things like muscles don't matter and girls want sensitive guys( Dafuq, that didn't work for you before lol). It's gripping how no matter how much a man improves himself, he will always have that opinion that being a dumb jock is somehow a maladaptive trait and that those "Types of men" have bad character.

One of my male role models in life, Idc if you think that is corny, is CR7( Cristiano Ronaldo ). I saw him on the cover of Fifa Street 2 in 2008 and ever since that day I wanted to be just like the guy in every way, I root for him that much. I saw Ronaldo go from a scrawny portuguese kid, to in his own words "Rich, handsome, and a great footballer." Not to mention his almost alien like body transformation that gives him the power of Lou Ferigno's Hulk but the speed and agility of Bruce Lee. Anyone that knows opinions about him, knows that he is simultaneously the most hated gentleman alive, and the hardest working gentleman alive. And that is my claim, he does nothing but work on his craft, win trophies, donate to charity, and start businesses. Why should we call him a bad man, or role model when if even half of use acted like him, we'd be in a better place in life?

So to conclude I want to open up some discussion. Does Society, mostly women, brainwash us into thinking "Jocks" or jock behavior(whatever the hell that is) somehow is ugly, or wrong? Why are so many men afraid to model their lives after accomplished athletes and role models, when these men are highly moral, hard working, fearless people, who raise the quality of everybody around them.

TL;DR : My friend is transforming his body, getting girls, and making money, yet he thinks his life is worse before all of this. Helping him understand he is on the right path and should ignore the haters.