A letter to my daughter,

The more you act like a lady, the more he'll act like a gentleman.

I hope that I will not and have not raised you to be offended in the slightest by this phrase. The subject of that phrase is you, because you are who is important and special, but more importantly because you are a woman and not a man.

Do not be like those other women that get offended from a statement that defines who you are, as a woman, and make it not about being a woman. In a world, where people will say the phrase The more you act like a "good person", the more "others" will act like a "good person". is more appropriate and correct. But why? Where are YOU in that phrase? Yes, you are a person. But more imporantly, you are a woman. Do not be like those other women that say they fight for women, yet strip their lives and the lives of others of being a woman and what makes them a woman in the first place.

If you become like those offended women, your life will never be truly happy. How can one be truly happy, when all you do is try to find negativity. Their mindset has become so warped that they even see negativity, where there is not. The first thought they should have of that phrase should just be that you act like good person and others will toward you. There is nothing negative about being a man or woman from that. But their mindset has made them think that it must have a sexist connotation. Yet, instead of thinking about it in a positive aspect, they go for the negative. Instead of it being a phrase that should empower women because their actions have a direct effect on the man, their thought is one that puts women down further.

Fight for equality, but understand that things can be different and equal at the same time.

Because I will tell your brother the same. For him to not be offended in a world that continuously tells him to be chivalrous, because that is what makes him a man.

Sincerely,

Your father.

***I saw this post https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/9875f9/the_wall_of_a_middle_school_in_texas/ come up which prompted me to write this letter. It is very disheartening to see. I have been seeing this subreddit come up at times in the past and a lot of the times comments are disgusting. So after that post I searched for other women related subs to see how normal that attitude is. All the female advice subreddits I found are almost equally troubling. Then I found this sub and it was like a relief that there are women like you here too. I post here to see if I could get some feedback. Thank you.