So I posted a while back asking for cooking advice with my guy.

I deleted the post (he knows my user and my convos with you ladies aren't his beeswax tbh) so I can't link back to it but basically he's EXTREMELY picky and was raised on boiled chicken and white rice. Only spice/sauce/condiments used were mustard and hot sauce.

ONTO MY UPDATE.

So I take pride in my cooking and it was becoming a real issue having out foods divided. Having him refuse to eat my food felt devastating to me honestly.

Here's what's happened since:

• I started working off his "basics": Chicken, Rice, Broccoli, Steak.

This was some really great advice from you all. I focused on the things I KNOW he loves and worked from there. Started by cooking them with some more spices, then added sauces, then switched out veggies for some new ones (he's tried red/yellow/orange/aloha/green sweet peppers and loves them!, he's also tried asparagus and cooked spinach and cauliflower).

• I went on a "SPICE TOUR" with him.

I made a fun event out of it, had him dip a finger in each spice and taste/smell them. This worked out REALLY well because he was able to really quickly tell me which spices were good and "DISGUSTING". This worked wonders on my end with no further communication needed because I can just use the "safe" spices in a lot of ways. He said he'll keep trying the others ones if I make them right.

• I called his mom

She sent me over a list of all the meals she made for him and his dad and gave me her taco meat recipe. Ladies, if you've got a nice MIL take FULL advantage of that woman's knowledge!

• I started giving him 2 options for meals

Instead of saying "what would you like" I moreso go with "Kebabs or butter chicken?" then he can choose and I can plan/shop/prep ahead of time without him totally derailing my meal plans

• I got a whiteboard for the fridge

I always had a magnetic paper pad for groceries but since I swapped it out with the white board my BF feels very driven to use it now! He wrote "beans" on it this week. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HE ATE BEANS! (I was always nervous to suggest them because of his disgust for previous lentils).

The response from all of this in action for th past 3 months has solidified our relationship even moreso.

He texted me a photo today of the fridge opened (he rarely sends photos, so that alone was exciting) - where I had left a cherry cobbler for tonight and the steaks marinating with the comment: "I opened the fridge and shouted "I'LL MARRY THIS WOMAN"".

I genuinely almost cried. It felt so good. He texted me about 2 hours later telling me to get home sooner so we can cook the steaks together.

I love this man, and I love this subreddit. Thank you!

(if I think of any other changes I made I'll add them)